Where should I take the thermometer?
Environmental protection laws state thatDo not throw dangerous substances and objects containing them into common places for collection and disposal of garbage. A mercury thermometer belongs to such objects.
Let's talk about where in this case it is possible to pass a thermometer, if he has inadvertently crashed.
Where should I take the mercury thermometer?
Not every village has a place forcollection and disposal of hazardous waste. Basically, such items are available in major cities. Often, private companies are involved in this, but, as a rule, these services are of a paid nature.
If your city does not have a recycling center oreco-organization that carries out this type of activity, then you can take the broken thermometer to a pharmacy or a polyclinic. Under the current legislation, these institutions must accept these items and continue to act in accordance with the regulations.
If both the hospital and the pharmacy refusedto satisfy your request, you can call the staff of the Ministry of Emergency Situations. A broken thermometer means spilled mercury - the strongest poison for a person, and this is already the business of the Ministry of Emergency Situations. On the dangers of mercury vapor you will learn from the article What will happen if you break a mercury thermometer.
How to collect and transport mercury?
Find out where to define the broken thermometer - this is only half the case. We still need to know how to collect and transport mercury to the site.
Rules for the collection of mercury
- If the thermometer broke and the mercury escaped, do notpanic, and immediately take for the elimination of the consequences. Remove all people and pets from the room. Limit access to the site of the "accident", otherwise, sticking to the soles of shoes or paws of animals, mercury disperse around the house.
- Highlight the place of incidence of the thermometer by side light - it will be better to see droplets of mercury. Collect them from the periphery to the center.
- Eliminate any hint of draft - it can expand the affected area, spreading the mercury balls and splitting them into smaller parts.
- If the street is much cooler than in the house, open the window (avoiding drafts). When the temperature in the room decreases, the vaporization of mercury vapor will slow down.
- Wear protective gloves on your hands, close your mouth with a gauze bandage.
Mercury can be collected in the following ways:
- Take two sheets of paper: one to use as a scoop, the second as a brush. The collected mercury should be placed in a jar with potassium permanganate solution.
- Small mercury balls are drawn with a syringe or rubber pear.
- Collect even smaller particles with the adhesive side of the patch.
Do not use a vacuum cleaner for this purpose!
Rules for transportation of mercury
All collected mercury should be placed in a glasstightly closed containers. The items involved in the work should be put in a tight plastic bag and handed over together with mercury and a broken thermometer.
If particles of mercury have got on clothes, then do not wash it in a washing machine, but rather dispose of it. Remember, your health and the health of your family depend on your vigilance in this matter!
Other useful tips you will get from the articles of the Household Tips section.