When to clean the pumpkin?
Despite its impressive size, pumpkinbelongs to the family of berry. For some gardeners, the fruit can reach 10-15 kg, and the largest pumpkin in the world, registered in the Guinness Book of Records, weighs 824 kg!
Pumpkin is considered very useful, because it containsa huge amount of vitamins and trace elements. It is useful for various diseases, for example, cardiovascular and gastrointestinal tract diseases. The culture is noteworthy in that it grows practically in all climatic zones, it is rather unpretentious. If you also grow it, let's figure it out when cleaning the pumpkin.
To begin with, you need to establish the timing of its maturation. There are early, mid-ripening and late-ripening varieties.
- Ripening can be collected about 3.5 months after planting, around mid-August.
- Mid-ripening varieties ripen a little longer - about 4 months, in September.
- Late peasants reach maturity in about 200 days, they need to be removed in late September and early October, but before frost.
How to understand that the pumpkin is ripe
- The peduncle became firm and dry.
- The leaves turned yellow and began to dry out.
- Pumpkin rind has become denser than before.
Also, the pumpkin should reach its established size, and also dial the final color - to become bright orange or yellow, depending on the variety.
If the pumpkin does not have time to ripen and has a pale green color, then it's okay, it ripens well in a warm dry place.
When harvesting, leave a stem - so you will extend the storage time of pumpkin (read more article How to store a pumpkin).