When planting potatoes in the suburbs - not the last question that worries experienced farmers
Potatoes are your favorite root crop. From this vegetable you can cook a variety of different dishes. The question, when planting potatoes in the Moscow region, worries many experienced truck farmers. In each region the planting dates for root crops are the same.
With the correct planting from one bucket of potatoes in the fall can be collected in 3, and even 4 times more harvest. For this you need to know some rules and nuances.
Choose a month for planting
From when to plant potatoes in the suburbs,depends on the end result. It is necessary to take into account the climatic features of the region. Experienced gardener know that the planting of potatoes should be carried out in the warm season, when the air temperature is above 15 degrees. Plant in the soil to a depth of 10-15 cm. At the same time, the temperature of the soil should be 7-10 degrees. Given the moderately continental climate, we can say with certainty that such a temperature regime is set in the Moscow region in early May.
People say that the best time to planttubers of potatoes occurs when the birch leaves completely buds, and there are already visible small leaves that are no larger than a coin in value in a penny.
Considering the question, when to plant potatoes inMoscow, many gardeners are guided by the lunar calendars. Every year, astronomers make notes about the phases of the moon, which must be paid attention. It is best to land on the waning moon.
It is also worth considering the Orthodox holidays. Ancestors believed that there are certain dates that contribute to better ripening of the crop. So, for example, on Pure Thursday about any works in the garden they did not go. But the pre-Easter Saturday was considered the ideal day for planting potatoes.
Late with the planting of tubers can not. This can result in a crop loss of 20-30%. The timing of planting potatoes in the suburbs may be different, it all depends on the natural conditions. As a rule, the optimal temperature comes after May 15.
How to prepare tubers for planting
Before asking how correctlyplant potatoes, it is necessary to undergo preparatory processes. First you need to choose the optimal size of the tubers: they should not be more than a chicken egg. Small potatoes can not give good sprouts, so the sprouts themselves will be frail. Larger root crops will not give an increase in yield, you will just spend twice as much material for planting.
Select the tubers for planting better from autumn. A big mistake is to immediately take the potatoes to the cellar or cellar. To begin with, it should be poured evenly under the canopy to make the tubers green (this will enable the root crop to germinate better in the spring).
A month before the proposed planting, it is necessary to undergo the process of vernalization. There are several ways:
- Tubers placed in a bright room withtemperature mode is not more than 20 degrees. Put the tubers in several layers (no more than 3). Every 2 weeks, change the layers so that the root vegetables receive the same amount of light.
- If there is no cool room, the air temperature reaches 25-30 degrees, the layers of potatoes must be mixed once every 1.5 weeks.
- If the garage is used as storage space, the temperature in which is no more than 10 degrees, the process of wailing should be carried out within a month.
Potato planting technique
When the tubers sprouted, the question arises: how to plant potatoes correctly? The first thing you need to know is the gaps between the rows. They should be at least 90 cm. The depth should be 10 cm.
Plant potatoes in goodplowed, fertilized soil, so that the tubers take root and start up strong roots. Experienced gardening advise under each tuber to dig a hole and fertilize with humus or ash, then put a few potatoes, cover with earth. After the whole process is completed, straighten the plot with a rake.
What kind of potato is best for Moscow Region?
It is very important to choose the right sort of potatoes for the Moscow region. They should be divided into the following categories:
Late potatoes will not have time to ripen at the right time, so this variety should not be chosen.
It is also important that the varieties are zoned for the Moscow region (they must be resistant to disease, unpretentious to climate change, germinate only in vernalization).
Experts recommend for this area such early ripening varieties:
- Spring. The tubers are light pink, the pulp is white. Great for salads, frying. Do not crumble. Typically, eaten as an early potato.
- Zhukovsky early. Tubers have a pinkish color. Eyes almost do not occur. If there is - shallow and shallow. Quickly brewed. Good for frying.
- Timo hankkiyan. Tubers, like the flesh itself, have a yellowish tinge. Resistant to droughts, waterlogging the soil. When cooking is badly boiled.
Choosing from the early and mid-ripening, it is better to stop on varieties:
- Nevsky. One of the most popular varieties of potato in Russia. Tubers have a yellowish color, the pulp is white, long dark. Moderate content of starch.
- Lugovskoy. Tubers differ in pinkish color. Friable, ideal for mashed potatoes.
It is very important when answering the question, when to plant potatoes in the suburbs, to take into account the climatic features, to know the average temperature of air and soil in this area.