What is planted in the fall?
Experienced gardeners even at the end of the season find classes related to planting. But what can be planted in the fall, when the cold is about to come? It turns out that not so few crops are able to wait out winter while being in the soil, so that in the spring, as soon as the snow melts, to please the zealous owner with the first shoots.
These cold-resistant cultures include
- Cucumber herb and some others.
How to choose a time
In order for the shoots to please the host in the spring, the crops are planted in late October or early November for the winter. If autumn is dry and warm, then you should wait for a steady temperature of 2-3aboutWith and only then produce sowing. Otherwise, the seeds will germinate earlier and the seedlings will die with the onset of the first frost.
It is equally important when choosing varieties for podzimnogo sowing to give preference to those that are resistant to bolting. The exceptions are spinach, dill and lettuce.
You will find more interesting information in the article - When to plant onions.
The process of planting crops for the winter
- It is necessary to gnaw the earth well, make grooves, pour seeds into them. For dense soil, the depth of sowing is 1 cm, for lighter ones - 3 cm.
- Seeds should be covered with dry warm earth, which should be prepared in advance.
- As the top layer, you can use a layer of peat or humus, laying it 2 cm thick.
- Condense the soil, and when the first snow falls, rake it up on the garden bed, arranging a kind of snow cover.
- For planting garlic before winter you need to choose a sunny place.
- The soil should be soft and fertilized (soil preparation is carried out 3-4 weeks before planting garlic).
- Cloves must be intact, have an intact top layer, be free from mold, stains and traces of rot.
- The distance between garlic cloves during planting varies from 7 to 15 cm, depending on their size.
- When planting can not push on the teeth, otherwise the harvest you get a head of garlic with a large number of small teeth.
- At the end of the process, the soil is leveled and covered with sawdust or spruce fir branches.
The time of planting garlic is September.