What is a colony?
In the Russian language there are words that have different definitions. For example, what is a colony? The word colony has several meanings that are united by the concept of “grouping, set”.
What is a colony in the Dal dictionary
- A collection of people - people from another country who live in a certain territory. For example, at the beginning of the 17th century, the first English migrant colonies appeared in North America, New Zealand, the African and Australian continents. Their policy was aimed at the development of economic and political independence. And at the end of the XIX century, the largest colony of Canada was the first to achieve self-government within the empire.
- Forcibly captured country, which is deprived of state independence (political and economic power) and is operated by the state - the metropolis. An example of such a country is Australia.
- Correctional labor institution, which ensures that convicts serve their sentences under a court sentence and performs the tasks of national economic importance.Correctional labor colonies are colonies of strict, enhanced, general and special regime, colonies of the settlement.
- A group of colonial microorganisms is a cluster of unicellular organisms of the same species in an environment favorable for existence. For example, coral polyps, algae and sponges, bryozoans, intestinal cavity polyps.
- Concentration of representatives of a single species. For example, nesting colonies of birds (rooks, swallows, penguins). In the caves of Morrowind live colonies of unique animals - Quama.