Undecidable nouns: types, rules for determining their kind, examples.
Declension is a change in cases and numbersof nouns. There are three types of declination. In addition, there are different types of nouns (ten nouns of the second kind ending in -ma, as well as the words daughter, path, mother, child) and indeclinable nouns (foyer, metro, cafe, radio, show).
Those who do not speak are called nouns, which in all cases have the same form: I see a coat (v.), I admire a coat (etc.).
1) words borrowed from other languages that end in a vowel and denote inanimate objects: cocoa, depot, coat, film, purse, aloe, taxi, coffee.
2) words borrowed from other languages, which call the representatives of male and female and end in a vowel: dandy, attache, impresario, lady.
3) words borrowed from other languages, denoting animals: kangaroos, chimpanzees, cockatoos;
4) foreign names and surnames of the female, which ends in a firm consonant: Carmen, Helen, Miss, Madame, Finkelstein;
5) foreign words that are called geographical objects: Helsinki, Baku, Calais, Toronto.
6. Russian surnames, which represent the genitive form of units. and many others. numbers: Durnovo, Hitrovo, Polish, Kruchenykh.
7. Ukrainian surnames on -ko: Korolenko, Franco, Shevchenko, Oleshko;
8) abbreviations are also indeclinable nouns, examples: FRG, MSU, UN, RF, USA.
When a combination of indecent nouns within other words, the form of their case can be determined by the construction of the whole sentence (for example, in the hall there was an old dressing table (named after the n.), or by the endings of the names of adjectives, which are consistent with these indeclinable nouns: Maxim wrapped his neck in a warm mantle (TV)
Inanimate non-indecipherable nounsare mainly related to the middle genus: sweet Eskimo, woolen muffler, planned interview, metro station. The indistinct noun coffee (black) refers to the masculine gender, and the avenue and kohlrabi to the female.
Animate borrowed nounsrefer to. p., if they call females (frau, madam, miss, lady), and to mr, if they call animals and males (chimpanzee, entertainer, dandy, attache, cockatoos).
The kind of indeclinable nouns thatdenote the names of geographical objects, determine the genus of those common nouns by which these names can be replaced: Gaborone (city) - an indecent noun of the masculine gender, Missouri (river) - feminine;
The genus of complex words and abbreviations is more oftenare determined by the genus of the main (reference) word when decoding: LFK-therapeutic physical training - feminine gender, since the main word of the feminine gender; KGB - State Security Committee - masculine, since the main word is masculine; BelAZ - (Belarusian Automobile Plant) - masculine gender, since the main word of the masculine gender, etc.
Since indeclinable nouns are borrowed from other languages, their spelling should be checked in spelling dictionaries.