The recipe for delicious dumplings with potatoes
What are dumplings? These are pieces of dough with a delicious filling, fried, boiled or steamed. As you already understood, in the article I will tell you how to cook dumplings with potatoes.
The classic recipe for dumplings with potatoes
Recipes for dumplings with a lot of potatoes. I think getting to know this dish is better with a classic recipe.
- Flour - 5 glasses
- Egg - 2 pcs.
- Potato - 800 g
- Water - 2 glasses
- Onions - 2 heads
- Pepper and salt.
- Sift flour, add eggs and some salt. In a bowl with the ingredients pour water and knead the dough. It should be soft and gentle. Wrap the dough in the film and leave for about half an hour.
- Cooking stuffing. Crush the potatoes, boiled in salted water, with a special crush, add salt, pepper, half of the onions, fried in oil.
- We return to the test. Cooks thinly roll out the dough, and cut out circles for a glass. I do not use this technology.I take the dough, roll it up with a sausage and cut it into pieces, about one and a half centimeters thick.
- Roll each piece of dough into flour and roll it into a circle, put a little filling in the middle. Make sure that the amount of the filling does not prevent easy connection of the edges of the dumpling.
- Sculpt dumplings neatly and decisively. If the edges do not stick together, moisten them with water. Put together the dumplings laid on the surface, sprinkled with flour.
- Put a shallow saucepan on the stove, pour water and bring to a boil. When the water boils, add a little salt and throw the dumplings.
- Boil no more than three minutes. The filling is already ready, and the test of this time is enough. Finished dumplings catch skimmer, put in a bowl, add the remaining fried onions and can be served at the table.
Video recipe for cooking dumplings with potatoes
You know, while writing a material, an interesting thought occurred to me. Many of us know how to cook delicious dumplings, use different fillings, which we will also talk about. But, it seems to me, not everyone knows the history of dumplings.
History of dumplings
As you know, Ukraine is the birthplace of borscht, bacon and, of course, dumplings.Ukrainian cuisine offers a wide range of hearty and tasty dishes that have managed to spread far beyond the territory of the motherland.
The territory of the country was formed only at the beginning of the 19th century. It was then that Ukrainian culinary traditions began to appear. The dishes that were present on the tables of Ukrainian families were very similar to the dishes of Belarusians and Poles.
In those days, Ukrainian cooks with enviable greed borrowed culinary techniques from Tatar, Hungarian, German and Turkish colleagues. Of course, the Ukrainians did not like the Turks, but they liked the Turkish dish a bit like dumplings. The dish was called dush-vara. After some time, the name turned into dumplings.
Ukrainian housewives used cottage cheese, potatoes, beans, apples, berries, buckwheat, poppy seeds, viburnum and even flour for the filling. Flour filling was very popular in the Chernihiv and Poltava region.
The hostesses fried the bacon in a frying pan until it became dry yellow crackling. After that, flour was added to the boiling lard and stirred until it absorbed the lard. This mass and stuffed dumplings.
Dumplings are rarely found on the daily table of Ukrainian peasants. They were often used to decorate holiday or Sunday tables, they were prepared for a wedding, a commemoration or a christening.
Popular Dumpling Toppings
I will talk about the fillings that I know, and share the secrets of their preparation.
- Cherries. For the filling requires a kilo of cherries. Remove bones from berries, fold them into glass dishes, add sugar and leave for several hours. After pouring the juice and filling the dry berries with dumplings.
- Cottage cheese. Six hundred grams of cottage cheese mixed with two tablespoons of sour cream, a spoon of sugar, one egg and a pinch of salt. The filling is ready.
- Potatoes and cracklings. Half a kilo of potatoes, a pinch of salt and black pepper to make mashed potatoes. Two hundred grams of goose fat cut into small pieces and fry with three chopped onions. Mix the resulting mass with potatoes.
- Cabbage. In a pan, stew four glasses of sauerkraut with a tablespoon of oil. To the cabbage add three chopped and fried onions and one carrot. To dry the stuffing, put out a little. Add sugar and salt at the end.
- Cabbage and Herring. A small head of cabbage shred and put out with the addition of a small amount of oil. To the cabbage add a little boiled and chopped mushrooms, you can butter, fried onions, salt, feather and chopped herring.
- Blueberries. Ripe blueberries thoroughly washed and dried. Mix with sugar.
- Plums. Remove pits from ripe fruits, fold the flesh into a bowl and cover with sugar. Half an hour to drain the juice. The filling is ready.
- Spinach. Boil spinach leaves, strain and pass through a sieve. Mix the resulting mass with sugar, cream and butter, steamed with flour. "Stuffing" for dumplings should get thick.
- Beans and Mushrooms. Boiled boiled beans through a sieve and mix with chopped boiled mushrooms. It remains to add a little oil, salt, pepper and fried onions.
- Mushrooms. Two hundred grams of dried mushrooms steamed, boiled, finely chopped and mixed with two chopped and stewed onions. I use veshes. Add a bit of mushroom broth and a few tablespoons of grated stale bread to the resulting mass.
The most skilled cooks manage to cook dumplings even with jam or jam.
In the article you learned how to cook dumplings with potatoes, history and toppings of this wonderful dish. If you want to eat something tasty, cook dumplings with potatoes or other stuffing.