The inscription on the tombstone. Epitaphs on the monument
Tell your feelings forever to the departedrelatives or loved ones, unfortunately, it is impossible. Of course, one can express one's own experiences in obituaries or put an undivided love in an inscription on a tombstone. Although, probably, the epitaph is just a way to calm yourself and convince that farewell words of love are still spoken and will live forever, carved on a cold granite.
What is usually written on tombstones
Tombstones now can be very different. They are made of a variety of materials, they are given a great many forms. Differences most often depend on cultural and religious traditions. However, almost all tombstones bear some mandatory information.
So, in all cases the surname, name andpatronymic of the deceased, his date of birth and date of death. Very often a photograph of the deceased person is also placed on the monument. However, this is not enough, if the relatives mourn for their untimely relative. And then an epitaph is knocked out on the tombstone.
What is an epitaph?
Epitaph is a short text in honor of the deceasedrights. We used to understand it as an inscription on a tombstone, but this is not entirely true. This word came to us from the ancient Greek language, and at that time under the epitaph understood a small speech about the deceased, spoken at the funeral.
The epitaph can be a short inscription ona tombstone that lists the family roles of the deceased and speaks of him with infinite love and respect. For example, "beloved father and dear husband." The epitaph can be a rhymed quatrain or even a quote from the Holy Scripture. Or maybe it is a rather long text, not devoid of pathos. For example, during the Renaissance, tombstones of descendants from noble families were adorned with detailed descriptions of the origin of the family, successes in the career and the praises of the virtue of the deceased and all his relatives.
In Western cultures, quite often people chooseinscriptions for their tombstones during their lifetime. This tradition has been around for a long time. For example, the author of his own epitaph, containing curses to those who carry human remains from the church to the crypt, presumably was William Shakespeare. And now in the West, older people or seriously ill people often tell their relatives about what kind of inscription they would like to see on their own gravestone.
For our reality, however, the choice of inscriptionfor its tombstone - a phenomenon not so widespread. And many will find this idea strange, because we are not used to thinking about death in general and about the fact that our life will ever come to an end. Therefore, the responsibility for the choice of the epitaph is most often imposed on the relatives and friends of the deceased.
Epitaph. How to choose words?
Choose an aphorism that will forever becomea symbol of grief for a departed dear person, it is usually very difficult. This takes a lot of mental strength, it causes an endless sadness. But this choice is necessary.
Of course, it is possible to express respect and sorrow inthe standard saying - "Rest in peace", "Remember. Love. We grieve. " These short phrases are used very often and throughout the world. Similarly, it is often resorted to the use of verses, aphorisms or quotations from the Bible.
However, the saying, knocked out on the gravestone,people sometimes want to express something more, put all their unspent love into words and utter inconsolable sorrow. In this case, the inscription on the tombstone should express words coming from the heart.
Many funeral agencies offer services for creating epitaphs. Relatives of the deceased express their wishes, and with their strict observance of feelings and sorrow are clothed in words.
The inscriptions on the monuments are chosen taking into account the fact thatwhose grave they are destined for. They have the sex, the age of a man, his family roles are important. The inscriptions on the monuments to my mother, therefore, will differ from the epitaphs to my father. However, there are phrases that are universal, which are used in various cases.
Inscriptions on monuments to parents
It's hard to lose parents. The only thing, probably, is that it's even harder to survive - the funeral of your child ...
For parents, they sometimes choose a common tombstone. In this case, and the epitaph can be one for two. We offer several exemplary options.
- "You will always live in our hearts."
- "You taught us a lot of things, but did not say just how to cope with the pain of your loss."
- "Memory is the golden chain that binds us until we meet again."
- "For us you have done everything. Now God gives you eternal rest. "
- "You asked so little, but did so much for us."
- "Your light will keep us warm forever."
- "We remember how you loved us."
- "Together forever".
- "Love is a light that never fades."
- "We lived together in happiness and together we are now in heaven."
Epitaphs to his father
The inscriptions on the monuments to the father can be as follows:
- "Left, but not forgotten."
- "You've worked all your life, Dad. Now you are still. We are proud of you. You are one of the best. "
- "His true wealth was in his heart. And he gave us his kindness without a trace. "
- "He taught us to be the best. Now we will become so for his blessed memory. "
- "He was a loving father, affectionate and kind."
- "His greatest joy was to make others happy."
- "He fulfilled his mission on this earth. And now in peace I ascended to heaven. "
- "The world is colder when God took you to his place."
- "We loved him very much. But God loved him more. "
- "God took him to himself. This is His will. But in our hearts the beloved husband and father will live forever. "
Epitaphs for the mother
And the following options we offer as inscriptions on the monuments to my mother.
- "God grant you eternal rest, dear mother."
- "She lives in our memory and will live for ever and ever."
- "Her friendship was inspiration, and love is a blessing."
- "My mother - the main shrine, the memory of which I will keep in my heart forever."
- "She's gone. But we remember the music of her kind heart. "
- "Grace was in every step, the sky in her eyes, and in every gesture - dignity and love."
- "She loved everyone."
- "If our love could save her, she would not die."
- "She touched everyone with her love and kindness."
- "God took from the earth the brightest angel - my mother."
Inscriptions on the monuments to her husband
The following versions of the epitaphs are for the departed beloved husband.
- "God, give me strength to live without him."
- "The memory of our love will live forever."
- "The angels will protect you in heaven."
- "For such people, there is the Kingdom of Heaven."
- "Love never ends."
- "Some people remain in our hearts forever."
- "Do not cry, because it's over, smile, because it happened."
- "He is my most beautiful memory."
- "I will remember you until we meet again."
- "In heaven we'll be together again".
All these variants of epitaphs we offer onlyas exemplary. Picking up words of love, devotion and unspeakable sorrow for your own person, you can focus on these phrases. But let your words come from the heart.