St. Ilyinsky Church - the first Orthodox church of Kievan Rus
Capital city Kiev can not but admire itshistorical shrines and architectural monuments, some of which are already more than 1000 years old. One of such shrines is the Holy Ilyinsky Church, built in honor of the Prophet Elijah and subordinate to the Moscow Patriarchate. Now it is difficult to imagine that this particular Orthodox church was the very first in Kievan Rus, even before the adoption of Christianity. Nestor the Chronicler in The Tale of Bygone Years pointed out that the Grand Dukes of Kiev Askold and Dir had built it.
St. Ilyinsky Church: Kiev (photo)
In the annals it is stated that in 860 the princes Askoldand Dir went to war in the Greek city of Constantinople. The Byzantine emperor Mikhail was at that time on a campaign against the Hagar, but when he received the news from the eparch that the Rusichi would soon be in the capital, he immediately returned. By this time, Tsargrad was besieged by two hundred ships of Rusich, and many Christians perished from their hands.
But the emperor secretly entered the city and all nightspent in prayer together with Patriarch Photius in the Church of the Holy Virgin in Vlaherna. Then, with prayer singing, they carried the robe of the Holy Virgin and lowered it to the floor in the sea. The sea was full of calm, but then a violent storm and storm began. Pagan ships began to crash because of giant waves, few of them survived and returned home.
Askold and Deere were simply amazed by suchmiracles. And then they decided to be baptized in Constantinople. Upon their return home, the Ilyinskaya church was built. Kievan Rus gradually prepared for the adoption of Christianity.
But the story does not end there. The church of Elijah was again mentioned in the annals in 945, when Grand Duke Igor I signed a peace treaty with the Byzantine Emperor Roman. In honor of this event, a divine service was held in the church of St. Elijah in Kiev.
In ancient times, it was customary to swear an oathfidelity to the treaty, in this case it occurred between Christian Byzantium and pagan Kyivan Rus. At first this oath was given in Constantinople with the participation of the Emperor Romanus. And after the Greek ambassadors together with Rusich went to Kiev, so that here, too, there was an oath of promise about bilateral non-aggression. The pledge was the word, the most intimate and valuable, what a man has.
At that time the most sacred and expensive for Igor andhis squads were idols, so the oath was uttered at the temple of Perun, the Slavic god of thunder. However, already at that time among the squad there were also many Christians who could not participate in pagan rites, and therefore took an oath before the Holy Cross of the Holy Ilinsk church.
Princess Olga and the Baptism of Rus
When Prince Igor was murdered by the throne of the Old RussianThe state was occupied by his wife - Princess Olga. Ilyinskaya church of Kiev continued its service among pagans. It was here that the princess Olga, who had received baptism, came to pray.
In 988 in the St. Ilyinsky Church, which wasis located on the banks of the Dnieper and Pochayny rivers, the Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir performed the Baptism of Rus. About what the church was originally unknown, but according to the assumptions of historians it was wooden.
Its stone church was erected only later - in 1692. It was small and did not have a bright decor. Funds for its construction donated by the well-known philistine Peter Gudima.
Life of the Church
At the beginning of the 18th century, a two-tieredbell tower under the leadership of the famous Kiev architect Grigorovich-Barskikh. At the church fence appeared baroque gates with openwork metal doors, on which the letters "IP" - Elijah the Prophet were very skilfully executed.
By the end of the XVIII century, thanks to the reconstruction, wasa low side-chapel in honor of St. John the Forerunner was built. In 1909, the Church of Elijah was renewed at the expense of three images of mural painting. Today, above the central entrance to the church under the choirs, you can see the preserved image of the Protection of the Holy Virgin.
In the 1930s this church was a Bolshevik powerclosed and turned into a granary. When the Great Patriotic War broke out in 1941, in the German-occupied Kiev in the church, again resume divine services. The doors of the church were again open to all.
In 1957, it was discovered and restoredmagnificent fragments of the 18th century painting. Today the St. Ilyinsky Church is framed in accordance with all the canons of the academic school: on the walls - a list of forty biblical stories from the life of the prophet Elijah.
St. Ilyinsky Church (Kiev): address
Church holidays: the day of the memory of the prophet Elijah - the main throne (July 20 / August 2), and the Beheading of John the Baptist - the northern side-altar (August 29 / September 11). The main shrines, stored in the church, is an ark with the relics of several saints.
Divine services in the evening are held on Friday and Saturday from 17-00, on Sunday with akafstst from 16-00. Morning liturgy: on Saturday from 8-00 and from 10-00, on Sunday from 7-30 and from 10-00.
Phones for communication: +38044 4252371; +38044 4252368
Admission is free, the time of visits on working days from 10-00 to 17-00, on weekends from 7-00 to 19-00.
Rector of the church: Protopriest Eugene Kosovsky.