Signs of migraine in women. Causes, symptoms and treatment of migraine in women
Millions of women face headaches. The reasons for feeling bad can be many. Usually, pain in the head does not become a problem. Enough to take or relax, as everything goes. Much harder to cope with migraines. Well-known non-prescription analgesics will not save here, especially if the attack is in full swing. Statistics show that 3 out of 10 women who have a headache, it is faced with a migraine. What to do in this case and how to recognize the enemy? The main nuances, symptoms and methods of treatment you can learn from the article.
Female migraine: a general concept
Migraine is a severe attack of headache, localized in one half (affects the temple, back of the head, forehead, eye). It is customary to attribute pathology to neurological abnormalities, but this is far from always the right decision, since there are other reasons for its development.Please note that migraine headache cannot be triggered by tumors or injuries. It is believed that malaise provokes dysfunction of the vessels.
Often, a migraine occurs in women. Men suffer from this disease less often. Bad health can be divided into frequent attacks (2-3 times a month) and rare (1-2 times a year). Treatment of migraine in women should be carried out by a doctor. Independently identify the causes of poor health and get rid of them is quite difficult.
How do you feel unwell?
The first signs of migraine in women appear long before the onset of a headache. Patients faced with such a problem may suggest in advance the time of the onset of the attack. The malaise develops in 4 stages, replacing each other.
- The initial stage, which is called prodrom. This is a condition that changes the emotional, physical and general well-being of women. In the prodrome, the patient becomes lethargic, irritable, and she develops weakness and drowsiness. But there are exceptions, when a woman's appetite, performance, and physical activity increase.It's all individually.
- The second stage of the development of migraine - aura. A condition in which a person contemplates flashes, spots, flickering before his eyes. With aura, the processes occurring in the brain are displayed on the external background. In some patients, speech is impaired during this period and vision is distorted. The second stage of development of the disease in most women is absent, it faces only a third.
- The third stage is characterized by the appearance of a headache. At this moment, you feel unwell, which can last from several hours to a couple of days. First, part of the head loses sensitivity, tingling occurs, gradually giving way to tension, pulsation and painful sensations.
- The fourth stage, or resolution of a migraine. She repeats prodrom. The patient has weakness, apathy, drowsiness. It is good if people at this stage fall asleep. After a full physical and emotional rest, everything passes.
The most common causes of migraine in women is heredity. Pathology indulges in the maternal line. If your mother, aunt or grandmother suffered from similar headaches, then you are more likely to have them. Other reasons:
- Nutrition as the cause of the disease is in second place.Women who regularly consume dark chocolate, red wine, smoked meats, cheeses or nuts, suffer from migraines more often than others. This also includes fast food.
- Diet is the third cause of pathology. Migraine occurs in women who deny themselves food intake for the purpose of losing weight. Often this happens with overweight, so obesity and starvation can be linked, called the reason for the occurrence of an attack.
- Exercise, especially severe, can cause headaches. Are you in the gym? It may be worth choosing a light sport to reduce the frequency of relapses.
- Refusal from coffee sometimes causes an attack. If you decide not to use this drink, then refuse it gradually. At first, replace it with black tea. Then switch to green and white.
- Fatigue and stress - causes of migraine in women. Often these conditions are associated with hormones. Headache occurs with PMS, as well as during menopause.
Signs of migraine in women
How to understand that you are not dealing with an ordinary headache? Are there any distinctive signs of migraine? In women, it is not always possible to predict a seizure, since they do not notice the initial stages of the pathology.You can determine the migraine by the following symptoms:
- bright pain concentrating in one part of the head;
- fear of light and sound;
- drowsiness, weakness, apathy;
- vomiting and nausea;
- increased discomfort when moving.
Signs of migraine in women after 50 years may be accompanied by flushing, excessive sweating, fever and a change in body temperature. In young women in the period of PMS, a heaviness in the lower back, a feeling of fullness in the lower abdomen, and increased irritability are added to the headache. Nausea and vomiting with migraine is not always the case, but the other listed symptoms usually occur consistently with each attack.
Forms of the disease and their symptoms
Signs of migraine in women can vary depending on the form of the patient’s pathology.
- Classical - dizziness, confused speech, ringing in the ears, fainting. Appears more often in young women.
- Menstrual - always accompanied by additional symptoms of PMS. This form occurs during the period of menstruation, depends entirely on the duration of their occurrence.
- Abdominal - pain in the abdomen, nausea with migraines, vomiting, diarrhea.Often this form appears in young girls before puberty.
- Ophthalmologic - unpleasant sensations are concentrated in the eye area, causing paralysis, vision distortion. This form of migraine can last for several months.
- Vestibular - in addition to headaches, accompanied by dizziness and drowsiness, may be complemented by nausea.
- Hemiplegic is a familial form of the disease. It is rare, accompanied by all the signs of classical pathology.
- Migraine status - the most dangerous condition, which is characterized by infarction. Requires emergency hospitalization and immediate medical intervention.
Attentive patients, faced with frequent attacks, can independently suggest the type of deviation. But it is better, of course, to seek help from specialists. The doctor will evaluate all signs of a migraine. Women are taking history, taking into account all chronic and hereditary diseases. Additionally appointed by MRI or CT.
Migraine treatment in women can be specific or symptomatic. Some patients do not take any action at all to get rid of their ailments, they prefer rest and complete rest.
It is necessary to treat migraine.It is important to choose a suitable option for yourself: get rid of the symptoms of indisposition or prevent the onset of an attack. In the latter case, the therapeutic course is chosen individually, it depends on the results of the patient's examination. Specific treatment of migraine includes taking nootropics, sedatives, vitamin complexes. Such therapy is expensive and long.
If the goal is to eliminate the symptoms of migraine, the treatment for women is about the same. It includes the use of painkillers, adherence, diet, and preventive measures.
Modern manufacturers of drugs produced various drugs for migraine. Often women choose common antipyretic drugs: “Analgin”, “Ibuprofen”, “Paracetamol” and their analogues. However, not all those help. For most patients with migraine, these drugs are powerless. Pay attention to the following groups of drugs:
- Triptans: “Zomig”, “Naramig”, “Imigran”. These medicines are quite expensive, but at the same time very effective.They eliminate not only pain, but also the concomitant symptoms of migraine in women (nausea, vomiting).
- Ergotamine derivatives: Nomigrene, Kafergot. Used to treat migraine with or without aura.
- Combined funds: "Ibuklin", "Nurofen Multisymptom". They include a combination of active ingredients, due to which they have a more pronounced effect than conventional antipyretics.
- NSAIDs: Ketorol, Diclofenac, Nimesulide. These drugs are more affordable, but for some women may be powerless.
If the symptoms of migraine in women are accompanied by vomiting and nausea, then drugs should be taken to relieve them. For this purpose, the medication "Zerukal" and "Motilium", according to the instructions. In some cases, dyspepsia is accompanied by diarrhea. Imodium, Loperamide or Diar will help you. When constipation effective: "Microlax", "Duphalac", "Senade".
Migraine during pregnancy
A woman may face this unpleasant state for the first time while waiting for a child. As you know, at this time taking medicines is prohibited. Particular care should be taken in the first trimester, when any medication can affect the formation of the baby's organs.If you have a migraine during pregnancy, it is necessary to urgently contact a neurologist. Do not forget to mention your interesting position. The doctor, taking into account the individual characteristics, will prescribe you the appropriate therapy.
- Antispasmodics: Papaverin and No-Shpa. With migraines, they are often assigned to expectant mothers. These drugs relieve vascular spasm and relax smooth muscles. Preference is given to injectable form of administration, rather than pills. Both drugs are permissible for use in all periods of pregnancy.
- Sedatives: "Glycine", "Motherwort", "Valerian". Must be assigned to expectant mothers suffering from frequent headaches and migraines. These means help prevent a new attack, and in case of its occurrence eliminate female panic.
How to help yourself?
In order for migraine drugs to be effective for you, you must follow certain rules during an attack. In addition to the drugs taken, you should install a regimen with a diet.
- As soon as you feel a headache (feel an aura or prodrome), take a painkiller.At this stage, any drugs will be effective. In the future, from many medicines will not sense.
- With the onset of paroxysmal pain in one half of the head, take a horizontal position. If possible, turn off the lights and create a twilight in the room. If you can not do this, you can use glasses for sleeping.
- Lie in one position until the medicine takes effect. If possible, you can sleep. Do not forget that proper rest is half the way to recovery.
- Refuse from food that provokes a migraine. If you stick to a diet, then it should also be excluded. Eat fractional, small portions. Food should be rich in fiber and vitamins.
- Use more pure water. Of course, it is not necessary to drink 2 liters of liquid with the onset of an attack. But a few sips, made every 30 minutes, will help you to fill the lack of moisture in the body and recover faster.
- If possible, periodically air the room where you are. An influx of fresh cool air and oxygen is needed by the brain. Take care that the room is not dry.The optimum humidity for the comfort of a person is in the range from 55 to 65%.
In some sources you can see the advice to take a hot bath. Doing so with a migraine attack is not worth it. It is not known what could result in a dramatic expansion of the vessels caused by high temperatures. It is also strictly contraindicated to treat alcohol migraine.
Treatment of migraine by folk methods is perceived by doctors skeptical. Doctors believe that conservative means will be more effective than decoctions of herbs. Despite this, humanity is not tired to invent a variety of natural medicines for migraine.
- Anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, soothing and immunity enhancing teas are prepared on the basis of chamomile, ginger, butterbur.
- Coffee - natural, black. This drink tones up, accelerates intestinal peristalsis, which removes the feeling of nausea and prevents vomiting.
- White cabbage. Clean leaves must be slightly stretched so that they let the juice through. Attach them to the head on the affected side for a few hours. Cabbage has absorbing and anti-edematous action.
- Freshly squeezed potato juice. Take this product for half a cup, every 30 minutes. It is believed that the root is able to eliminate headaches and even pacify a migraine attack.
A migraine attack is a very unpleasant condition that knocks out of the usual rhythm of life, not allowing to work and communicate with people. It is strictly forbidden to carry such a headache on the legs. At the first sign of a migraine, you should go home and observe complete rest. If you first encountered these conditions and do not know what measures to take, then contact the ambulance workers. A team arriving at the call will propose suitable pain medication. As soon as you feel relief, be sure to visit a doctor. The doctor will conduct an examination and tell you what are the causes of migraine and how you can cope with the next attack.
It is especially dangerous to suffer a headache during pregnancy. At the same time, expectant mothers are prohibited from taking their own medicines. You should not listen to the advice of experienced girlfriends or use grandma's recipes. Even harmless herbal teas can adversely affect the course of pregnancy.If you are expecting a baby and have repeatedly experienced migraine attacks, then consult a specialist and find out how to prevent a relapse.