Pain under the scapula on the left behind: possible causes
The pain under the scapula on the left behind is prettya common phenomenon. Unpleasant sensations can be caused by being in an uncomfortable position for a long time or by an unsuccessful sudden movement that causes muscle strain. However, prolonged and recurring pains are a very bad sign.
In fact, such pain can be caused by various serious illnesses. Therefore, if such symptoms occur, the doctor should be consulted without delay and examined.
It is not at all necessary that the source of pain is alwaysis located next to the place of its manifestation. The human nervous system is arranged in such a way that the impulses emitted by the diseased organ can move away from it and manifest itself in a completely different place. Therefore, pain under the scapula can be caused by diseases of the spine, gastrointestinal and cardiac pathologies. At the same time, the pain under the scapula on the left behind refers to professional pain. For example, drivers and seamstresses. In this case, the pain is caused by a constant load on the muscles of the cervical region.
Quite often there is pain under the scapula whenmovement, but immediately passes in a state of rest. In some cases, there are pain in the heart. The causes of such symptoms are found in the pathologies of the cardiovascular system.
Since pain under the scapula can indicate different diseases and pathologies, further examination of the body is carried out on the basis of the diagnosis delivered by the doctor.
- If cardiovascular disease is suspected, an electrocardiogram (ECG) and an ultrasound examination of the heart should be done.
- For examination of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, ultrasound of these organs is performed.
- If you have problems with the musculoskeletal system, you need an X-ray and, quite possibly, an MRI.
- In lung disease, they should be examined using an X-ray.
The above survey methods areprimary and general, which provide information on the general state of the body and foci of diseases. If any abnormalities and pathologies are found, a very thorough examination of a person is necessary, taking into account all its physiological characteristics.
Diseases of the scapula
Blades, like any other part of the humanbody, can be prone to specific diseases. Therefore, in some cases, unpleasant sensations in the back area arise precisely due to such diseases.
- Injuries of scapula. Severe bruises and shocks to the scapula can lead to injuries. With unsuccessful falls, there is a possibility of fracture or cleavage of the scapula, which leads to very unpleasant consequences. In the case of bone damage, there are very strong painful sensations, which are intensified when moving. In case of suspected serious injury, first of all, it is necessary to undergo an examination on the X-ray.
- Osteomyelitis scapula. This disease develops against the background of open penetrating wounds. Suppuration may occur.
- Tuberculosis of scapula. Very rare disease, but nevertheless it sometimes develops.
- A crunch in the shoulder blade. It is caused by inflammation of the scapula. Characteristic feelings of discomfort and not very severe pain. With active movements of the shoulder joints, a characteristic crunch appears.
- Swelling of scapula. It can be caused by various diseases. In such cases, a comprehensive examination of the body and removal of the tumor is necessary.
- Pinched nerve. Most often occurs in sportsmen gymnasts, but it can occur in any person. Usually associated with injuries, bruises and sprains.
Despite the existence of a number of quite innocuousreasons, when acute pain occurs under the shoulder blade, the best decision will be to undergo a test - because in some cases, such pain is a signal of the need for emergency medical care.
Types of pain under the scapula
Such pain, depending on the cause that caused it, can be:
- Very strong.
Based on complaints from patients, the main types of pain can be identified:
- Constant pain, not leaving the body, even at rest. Periodically it can grow, accompanied by a burning sensation.
- Cutting pain under the shoulder blade, periodically turning into the area between the shoulder blades.
- Pain in the heart. When there are problems with the heart, the symptoms can manifest through pain under the scapula.
- Constant pain, which passes at rest, but intensifies from coughing or deep inspiration.
- A sharp pain in the left side, passes after vomiting.
- The sensation of pain appears at a certain position of the body. For example, it occurs if you stretch your arms up.
- The pain is directed downward, from the scapula to the waist. There is a drawing sensation.
- Pain under the scapula when moving.
Pain as a symptom of diseases of the spine
In most cases, pain under the scapula is caused by various diseases and pathologies of the spine. For example, osteochondrosis or scoliosis.
- Various pathologies of the cervical spinecan cause pain under the shoulder blade, the treatment of which can be quite long. Constant pain under the scapula is caused by such diseases of the spinal column as osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia, spondylosis and others. Such pain can also periodically disappear and appear as sharp lumbago.
- Intercostal neuralgia can also cause pain. If this disease occurs, the pain spreads across the entire rib area, and it becomes difficult to turn the body.
- The left-sided shoulder-dorsal periarthritis also causes pain under the left scapula.
- Spade-rib syndrome causes pain under the shoulder blade, accompanied by soreness in the cervical spine.
- Various oncological diseases. In some cases, the tumor can be located in the scapula itself and cause very unpleasant sensations. In the case of cancer in the spine or spinal cord, the pain will still reach the scapula.
Sharp pain under the scapula
Characterized by sharp, stabbing flashes of pain. It can occur periodically; the receding pain returns with renewed force as a result of movements and deep breaths. Sharp pain under the scapula often indicates a critical condition of the body and the need for prompt medical intervention.
It can occur with the following diseases:
- Myocardial infarction. Usually stitching pains appearing before the attack and persisting during it, are increasing. Gradually increasing, they give back to the back of the head, jaw, teeth, left arm. But in some cases, there may be a sharp bout of pain that appears under the shoulder blade. However, not always the pain under the left scapula means problems with the heart. Symptoms may indicate other causes.
- Pleurisy. Severe pain can occur at the initial stage of this disease. The pain usually centers around the place of fluid accumulation, that is, under the left or right scapula.
- Aneurysm. Also causes severe sharp pain under the left scapula. Painful sensations can be in the shoulder region.
- Pancreatitis. Attacks of this disease are accompanied by severe pain in the region of the left scapula.
Single, not repeated seizures, can becaused by unsuccessful movement, or trauma. However, if severe pain under the scapula is systematic and painful sensations do not go away - you need to urgently go to the hospital.
Drawing pain under the shoulder blades
This type of pain usually appears with the development of various vertebral diseases and is caused by jamming of the nerve endings (for example, with osteochondrosis of the cervical spine).
Spade-rib syndrome also causes pullingsensation of pain. This disease is fairly easy to recognize, since movement always produces a characteristic crunch. Also, with this syndrome, the pain irradiates into the cervical region.
The peculiar nature of the pain is due to the fact that,First, the pathology of the spine leads to a decrease in intervertebral distances, and secondly, they pass quite slowly, so the pain is very rarely sharp and strong.
Pain under the left scapula, treatment and diagnostic methods
When there is systematic pain in all hermanifestations need to be diagnosed. Even if the pain is extremely rare, severe pain under the scapula may indicate the onset of a serious illness. For example, when there is pain in the heart area, the causes lie in the occurrence of cardiovascular diseases, but pain under the scapula can also point to them.
First of all, you should consult your doctor for an examination. Depending on the type of pain, its manifestations and additional symptoms, an appropriate examination will be given.
- In the event of suspicion of cardiovascular disease, an electrocardiogram (ECG) and other heart examinations may be prescribed.
- In diseases of the musculoskeletal system, x-rays are prescribed. It is also possible for the passage of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- With pathology of the digestive system, ultrasound of the gastrointestinal tract will be prescribed.
In those cases when the initial examination does not reveal the causes of the pain or is suspected of complications, an additional collection of tests and a complete examination of the body are carried out.
One way or another, the sooner a person passesThe examination is better for his health. Because timely diagnosis of any disease will help prevent the development of the disease and additional complications.
The choice of method of treatment depends onresults of examination and diagnosis. It is very important to remember that self-medication or taking painkillers without consulting a doctor can greatly aggravate the situation of the patient.
Usually the treatment is medicated. Patients are also given certain diets, restrictions on physical activity and a special regime of the day.
However, in some cases, it may be necessary tosurgical intervention. For example, if a malignant tumor occurs in the scapula, this becomes the only acceptable treatment option. That once again confirms the need for early treatment in a medical institution when there are painful manifestations.
Gastric ulcer and pancreatitis
One of the most common causes of the appearance of pain behind the left scapula is a stomach ulcer. The manifestations of pain in the ulcer affect a lot of factors:
- Food intake. Pain may appear immediately after eating or in the absence of it (muscle pain).
- Vomiting. Vomiting attacks relieve pain, or they are completely removed.
- Type of food. An attack of pain can be triggered by taking a certain type of food.
When a person's stomach strikes an ulcer, the pain under the left scapula on the left behind can take quite a variety of forms.
Pain can intensify at night and be accompanied by burning. Most often it is pulling and dull. Such signs are manifested in patients with high gastric ulcers.
When such symptoms appear,prompt examination of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract and diet compliance. It is necessary to drink plenty of water and increase the number of meals a day (but not the volume of food consumed, it means the transition to a 5-time meal) - thus, there will always be something in the stomach, thereby damage to the walls of the stomach, will be minimal.
For the ulcer the most characteristic are attacks of pain,which occur on an empty stomach. Also, pain can trigger the reception of various stimuli. Therefore it is highly recommended to make a list of consumed products.
Most people with stomach ulcers are observedbouts of vomiting. And they are caused by the growth of pain, and not nausea. As a rule, after a person has vomited, the pain either passes or significantly decreases.
With a stomach ulcer, manifestations of a sharp,stitching pain. This can be caused by perforation of the ulcer. In fact, perforation means the appearance of a hole in the wall of the stomach at the site of the wound caused by the ulcer. This is fraught with the ingestion of stomach contents into the abdominal cavity and the development of peritonitis.
In the case of an attack of pancreatitis, the pain is usually shrouded in nature. It is also accompanied by vomiting, nausea and dizziness.
Diseases of the cardiovascular system
When attacks of cardiovascular diseases are characterized by the emergence of acute pain under the left scapula. It can occur when:
- Myocardial infarction.
- Attacks of angina pectoris.
- The dissecting aortic aneurysm.
Usually, if a heart attack occurs, pain under thescapula on the left behind is not the only sign that indicates an attack. It is accompanied by pains in the sternum, left arm, jaw, occiput. However, with a "posterior infarction", such pain can be the only manifestation of a heart attack. The most important difference between infarction and other cardiovascular diseases is the inability to relieve pain with nitroglycerin. For example, with paroxysm of angina pectoris, the intake of nitroglycerin perfectly helps.
Thus, the pain under the scapula on the left behindcan have a lot of reasons. Starting from quite innocuous - for example, bruises, and ending with quite serious diseases. Therefore, one should never underestimate such pains, especially if their appearance is systematic. A preventive examination in any case will not take very long. Moreover, after examining, it is possible to prevent the development of serious diseases and their complications.