Outdoor corner for tiles: features of choice, installation technique and reviews
Ceramic material is the most famous and practical for finishing work. Actually, for this reason, tiled coatings are found on walls, floors, and even ceilings, mainly in those rooms where temperature drops and high humidity are present. However, in order for the room to look perfect, one tile is indispensable. That is why at the final stage of repair install exterior corners for the tile and other elements.
Advantages of tile corners
Corners for tiles are not necessary when facing tiles, but they are necessary to eliminate irregularities on the edges of the tile, as well as a functional component.
In order to understand the full benefits of an outdoor corner for a tile, it will be helpful to consider its advantages:
- Ability to design a complex geometric planes. When installing a tile at an inclination of 45 °, the use of a corner will allow you to do the work without cutting the canvas.
- Closing uneven edges and tile flaws. The cut, processed with the help of a corner, looks ideally smooth and even, respectively, the general view becomes much more attractive.
- Visual perception. Facing, finished installing the corners of a contrasting shade, looks very neat.
- Reliable waterproofing. When using the corner of the water can not seep into the joints between the tiles, respectively, the occurrence of mold and fungus becomes impossible. This moment significantly extends the service life of the cladding.
- Security. If suddenly someone slips on the wet floor, the presence of the corners of an untreated tile will lead to cuts and injuries, and the established corners will hide these defects.
Important! If the room is designed in Baroque or folklore, the presence of corners will be an indispensable part of this composition. By itself, the process of laying tile is not easy, so that the work looked perfect, use the corners.If you believe the numerous reviews, the presence of this element helps to make the composition complete.
Which corner to choose for tiles
Tiled corner is required for the design of the corner zone, docking tiles, closing difficult areas, connecting plumbing with tiles and so on.
Corners come in two forms:
- Inner corner. This element is used to connect the corner joints of the web near planes. For example, the joint of the ceiling with the wall, as well as the union of the shower cabin with the wall. The use of a corner in this case does not allow moisture to fall between the tile joints and under the tile itself.
- Outer corner for tiles. This element is used to design wall projections. This process is necessary because this part of the wall is continuously subjected to mechanical loads. In addition, closing the corner of the sharp edges of the tile will help eliminate the likelihood of injury to people nearby. In other words, in this case the corner is a security feature. You can install it in the process of lining, and after it.
Tile corner features
Corners can be both functional and decorative, it depends on the function that it will perform.
- The functional elements are external metal corners for tiles, from tiles and plastic. All of them are able to withstand great mechanical stress.
- The decorative corner is used only for aesthetic purposes, for example, it can be an external aluminum corner for a tile. Elements made in one or several colors will give the interior a finished look.
The most affordable and fastest way to design corners is to use a curb, but this is, unfortunately, the most short-lived method, which also does not look very nice. The most commonly used self-adhesive curb. Before its installation it is necessary to treat the surface with an anti-mold and fungus agent. This corner is very light, well bent and does not crack in the process of gluing.
The materials of which the corners are made
For the manufacture of outdoor corners for the tile used various materials:
- Aluminum. This is a versatile material whose color is perfectly combined with almost any color anddesign solutions. In addition, the element is perfectly combined with interior items and metal structures. The main advantages of the aluminum outer corner for tiles are lightness, high strength, long service life, and corrosion resistance.
- Metallic alloys. Almost all types of these elements are covered with gold or silver paint, there are chrome-plated corners for tiles, external and nickel-plated. They are considered universal and are suitable for different stylistic trends in the interior.
- Corner for tile external plastic. This is a very durable element, almost waterproof, with a huge choice of colors and shades, which makes it possible to use it even in the most expensive interiors, and it is also very light.
- Ceramics. Corners for tiles can be made of ceramic or ceramic. From the point of view of aesthetics, this option is the best. Quite often, the ceramic element becomes part of the tile collection, which is why it is recommended to pay attention to this type.
If we compare the materials of which the corners are made, by the service life, then the first place will be metal, the last place is occupied by plastic outer corners for the tile.
- Corners made of metal, provide a good tightness, compared with elements made of other materials.
- Polyethylene borders have such advantages as ease of installation and affordable cost, however, with constant interaction with water, it will have to be changed every 2–3 years. But, in the opinion of customers, this moment does not scare them, because the low cost of an element is more important for many.
- The advantages of the corners, made of ceramics, include high strength, water resistance, as well as low thermal conductivity and aesthetic appearance over the years. The disadvantages of ceramic corners include the following: high cost, complexity of installation, especially if you are facing the lining of architectural compositions. The appearance of the ceramic element can deteriorate only in case of impact. After a strong mechanical impact, the tile begins to crumble and requires urgent replacement.
Factors to consider when choosing corners
In order to choose the right corner, you should follow some rules:
- Thickness.Corners also have a different thickness, so when choosing an element should proceed from the parameters of the tile. Experts recommend taking a corner of 1 mm thicker than the tile itself.
- Design features. For stiffness, the corners are of three types: soft, semi-rigid and hard. This parameter is selected depending on the complexity of the architecture. If it is necessary to design a complex geometric or curvilinear structure, then you should stop the choice on a plastic corner, which is very easy to cut and bend. The metal corner is suitable exclusively for an even and clear space.
- Going to the store to pick up a corner under the outer tile, you should take with you a sample of the canvas that you are going to lay indoors. This will allow you to perfectly match the color of the corner.
- Try to rely on all the listed recommendations when choosing a corner, then the installation will not bring you any surprises.
Installation of outdoor corners
Installation is carried out only after the facing of one of the walls forming the outer corners has been completed. The process consists of several steps:
- Before you start facing the second wall, you need to get the groove of the corner under the tiled canvas, which will be facing the other wall of the room.It is necessary to pay great attention to the fact that the dimensions of the groove must strictly comply with the parameters of the tile. Otherwise, when the size of the groove is smaller, it will become impossible to start it, and if, on the contrary, it is larger than the thickness of the tile, then you will have to spend a lot of sealant.
- To facing the next wall was more convenient, the corner should be fixed with adhesive tape.
- The layout of the outer corner of the tile should be carried out close to the corner, while you need to constantly check the level of its vertical location.
- After the work is completed, it is necessary to fill up the voids with acrylic or silicate glue. This must be done carefully so that there are no voids left.
Quite often when installing the corners have to cut them. For example, if after laying tiles planned installation of suspended ceilings. After the element has already been installed, it is very difficult to trim, and if the corner needs to be installed near the doorway, then it is almost impossible to do so.
In most cases, the corners are cut for mounting perpendicular to each other.In this case, trimming is carried out at an angle of 45 °. This should be done very carefully, since the slightest deviation may lead to the formation of a gap at the junction. Careless work will entail the formation of burrs, which will not allow the corners to stand right next to each other. An indispensable tool in the process of cutting is the trunk, which will ensure the correct location of the layout at the right angle. Cutting corners can be a hacksaw for metal or impeller.
It is worth noting that for a good performance of the cut it is required to have some skill. Therefore, the work should be done with full responsibility, carefully making all markup and measurements. If suddenly the geometry of the cut is different from a right angle, you should be smart.
Recently, the outer corners of the ceramic tile or made of other materials have become an integral attribute when laying tile covering, since its presence gives the interior a complete look in any room. And although this element is not mandatory, most people still prefer to purchase them and enjoy the full composition.