How to remove a splinter from a finger? How to pull a thumb from a small child?
It is amazing how such a small “thing” as a splinter can bring such big problems and inconveniences. No wonder, because with its penetration under the skin there are numerous bacteria that later lead to problems. Therefore, if time does not take the correct and consistent actions for its seizure, it can lead to serious complications. So how do you get a splinter out of your finger?
For a start, let us figure out what might be threatened by the untimely removal of the splinters. Quite often, faced with such a problem as the penetration of a piece of wood, glass or metal under the skin, most people ignore it, arguing that the body itself will get rid of the unwanted "guest." But such actions often lead to serious problems, including blood infection.
It should be remembered that if an infected splinter penetrated under the skin, and there was no timely visit to a doctor, it could threaten with sepsis, leading to an urgent amputation of the injured part of the leg or arm.
If a piece of glass has penetrated under the skin, its presence is fairly easy to determine by pulsating pain, this is due to the fact that the foreign body with a sharp end presses on the nerve endings. If you ignore this problem, inflammation may develop, which will lead to swelling and subsequent suppuration. The infection will quickly spread through the bloodstream, possibly leading to infection of the blood.
If a foreign body penetrated into the skin was uninfected, and the area around it did not turn red, in this case, you can remove it yourself. So how to pull a splinter from a finger correctly and quickly?
Basic rules for removing splinters
As a rule, the smaller the penetrated sliver, the more pain and problems it brings, so below we will look at how to pull a splinter out of a toe or hand if it is “stuck” shallowly.
- In no case do not press on the damaged area and do not squeeze the skin to pull out the splinter, otherwise, if the fragment is sharp, you can drive it even deeper.In addition, if a foreign body is of glass origin, it can break into smaller pieces.
- Before removing the splinter, dry the damaged area. To do this, wash your hands with soap and wipe them with a towel (preferably paper).
- If you cannot see the “scale” of the penetrated body, use a magnifying glass to understand exactly where the shard or sliver is located and at what angle. In this case, a solution of potassium permanganate will also help. To do this, place the injured finger in it. The solution will help to paint the location of the splinter.
- Take tweezers (tweezers for nails and needles are also suitable for such purposes) and be sure to sterilize it.
- If a splinter snuck into your heel, then in this case you can use a blade or nail clippers, but be extremely careful.
- Next, gently grasp the tip of the splinter with tweezers and pull it. Do not squeeze the tool, otherwise you can break the chip.
- After removing the "unwanted visitor", apply anti-bacterial ointment or antiseptic.
If the script has become more complex, for example, a chip or splinter is deeply stuck under the skin, in this case it is better to use the help of medics, they already know exactly how to pull a splinter out of a finger without consequences.
Actions to be taken before visiting the doctor
- Treat iodine as often as possible.
- Take a small container, pour boiling water there (water should be as hot as you can stand), add a few teaspoons of salt. Place a damaged finger there and hold it until the water has cooled.
- Take a slice of bread. Liberally sprinkle it with salt and chew to a mushy state. Apply the crumb to the adhesive plaster and apply on the damaged area. The holding time of the compress should be at least 6 hours.
Oddly enough, but folk methods for removing splinters are quite effective. Therefore, below we will offer several effective means of traditional medicine. So, how to pull a splinter from the finger of folk remedies?
- Tar.The affected place should be abundantly lubricated with this tool and after 15 minutes the splinter should already appear on the surface of the finger. At this point, you should already disarm yourself with disinfected tweezers and pull out a “wooden pest”.
- Alternative to tar can serveconifer resin.To do this, warm it up and apply on your finger for half an hour.
- Another effective way is to usealoe. This is an excellent tool that can help not only get rid of splinters, but also disinfect the wound. To do this, attach a leaf of aloe on the damaged place and wait until the splinter seems.
- Grease the intrusion site of the “unwanted guest”vegetable oil.
- Put invodka solution with saltfinger and hold for a few minutes. A splinter should appear soon.
- At night, make suchcompress. Take the banana peel and put it on the affected finger. By morning, the splinter should "get out" of your finger.
- Take a smalla slice of potatoesand put it on the affected area for a few hours.
- Do the same withbacon.
- Takeclayand fill it with water. Blind a small cake and put it on your finger.
- Takebaking soda, dissolve it in water and apply it on your finger, gluing it with adhesive plaster. Hold for a few hours. This method should be used when others have not helped.
This method is effective if you are interested in the question of how to remove a splinter from a finger without pain. This ointment is sold without a prescription.Apply a small amount of "ichtyol" to the damaged area and hold for at least a day. Cover the smeared area with adhesive plaster. A splash will come out by itself. The lack of ointment - a very unpleasant odor and rather oily consistency.
How to remove a splinter from a child's finger?
In this case, apply all the above methods. The only important nuance is keeping calm. Do not shout and do not be nervous, otherwise the problem will worsen even more. If the baby is not given, try to persuade him, tell him how strong and courageous he is, like mom and dad will be proud of him if he suffers a little. If this method does not work, take it with something, and during the game, try to pull a foreign object from a small finger. Remember that your hands and hands of the baby must be clean at this moment, otherwise you can bring an infection. These rules apply only to a slightly stuck splinter, but if a sliver or splinter penetrated deep under the skin, do not wait for miracles, consult a doctor, he knows exactly how to pull the splinter out of the finger of a child without consequences.
If the child is very small, what to do in this case?
If the problem has touched a very small crumb, then you should act with extreme caution. To begin, disinfect the damaged area with hydrogen peroxide or conventional antiseptic. After that, call the doctor. In the meantime, the doctor is going, put the baby's finger in warm water with salt and soda. If the splinter did not come out, try attaching a leaf of aloe or bread crumb to your finger (these methods are described above).
Smile to the child so that he feels your support, distract him with anything. If the splinter entered shallowly, try to remove it yourself, but only if the pussy is calm or asleep. In others - wait for the doctor.
In order not to think often about how to pull a small child out of a finger, think about what you can do to stop this situation in the future. To do this, exclude from the field of view and access of the crumbs of objects that may be dangerous to him. Be careful, because the fragile children's body is quite hard going through such situations.