How to make strips for quilling?
Quilling - a great lesson for both children andfor adults, thanks to him, leisure is spent with interest. The technique of creating compositions of thin stranded strips is not only entertaining, but also useful, because you can decorate the house yourself and make an original gift to a loved one.
It is believed that art appeared in themedieval Europe, where monks made medallions, book covers and framing for icons. To do this, they wound the paper strips on the tip of the pen with pre-gilded edges, which created an imitation of a miniature of gold. In the XV-XVI centuries quilling was called art, in the XIXth century it became a woman's entertainment, and most of the XX was completely forgotten. Only at the end of the last century such an occupation returned and became interesting to many.
Two-sided colored strips can be purchased instore or make it yourself at home to save money. The selected material depends on the master and on his preferences. Many professionals like to produce raw materials with their own hands, because thanks to this they invest more energy in the work. The width of the strips for quilling can be 2, 3, 5 and 10 mm.
Quality paper must meet certain characteristics and properties.
1. It is obliged to be not very easy, but also not heavy, just to wind up, and after - to open up evenly, while preserving the expected form.
2. Choose a light-resistant material to ensure that the products retain a presentable appearance for a long time. When storing strips for quilling should be well packed, since direct sunlight can still slightly distort the color range of future masterpieces.
3. Raw materials must be chosen high-quality, so that the master, if desired, can cover the tape with golden and silvery aerosols or varnishes. To do this, you need to distribute the material well and fix it on several sides, and afterwards apply decorative elements, then wait for the complete drying.
4. For more delicate and refined works, parchment is often purchased, since it has a pastel color.
In order to make strips for quillingwith their own hands, special tools are needed. The process of cutting will be much easier if you buy a ready-made set for creativity. But you can fantasize and make it yourself from improvised materials that will be found in any home. However, there is such an inventory that it will be difficult to replace something. First of all it is a self-healing mat, which is very convenient to use. Thanks to it, the furniture does not deteriorate and every time you do not need to look for a place on which the strips for quilling will be cut. Another very handy tool is a round or clerical knife, which is easy to cut a prepared sheet of paper.
Scissors are also used, but this will takemuch more time, and the effect will be slightly worse, as they break the tips. You will need a ruler to measure and draw the line at the right distance.
If there is a desire to do band art, then you need to know how to make strips for quilling yourself. There are several ways to make them:
1. It is necessary to prepare a sheet on which the distance of the future tape is marked on both sides. Then take a 20-30-centimeter iron ruler and attach it to the points, and then, using an acute paper knife, draw a line. It is best to do this on a self-healing mat, but if there is not one, then the surface is fine, and it will not be a pity to cut it. The blade is carried from the top down, so it is necessary to continue until the end of the sheet. This method is considered one of the fastest and easiest.
2. If you can use a personal or office shredder to destroy documents, then you can make a lot of ribbons in a short time. The main disadvantage of this technique is that strips of paper for quilling will always be the same size. The plus of this method is the ability to quickly cut any chocolate or candy wrappers and unnecessary leaves, all this is used as an improvised material for creativity. It represents a rather original idea, since the product always turns out to be interesting and unusual.
3. You can also prepare the material with a torch. The advantage is the ability to manufacture ribbons of any size. Negative aspects include the high cost of the tool, as well as the need for certain skills. You need a confident, firm hand and a good eye.
There is a method that does not requireindependently delineate sheets A4 to cut them into quilling strips. The template is often used for such works, and it can be produced using a computer program. To do this, in Word, you need to draw a table and set the number of columns in it, depending on the width of the required tape. And also in the program the thickness of lines is chosen. To set all necessary parameters, you need to select the desired fragment and right-click on it, find the "Table Properties" tab, in this section all criteria are set. After the task is completed, a template is printed on the specially selected paper, and then the sheet is cut into the required size.
What can be done from strips
As mentioned above, quilling is an art, thanks to which there are real masterpieces. But first you need to figure out what forms can be useful for creating the most simple crafts.
"The Arrow." The winding is collected in a triangle, the middle of which is pressed inward.
"The Droplet." It is obtained by transferring the center of the spiral to the side to form a swirling tip.
- Leaf. The spiral is compressed, and then it falls from two sides.
"The Half-Circle." The tape is twisted and tied at the edges, and the formed space with one of the parts is leveled.
- The Triangle. This is the same "drop", but with a rounded and flattened part.
"The Crescent." It's a little squeezed middle of the previous element.
It is important to know that all forms are necessarily fixed with glue.
Open (they are created without winding the spiral):
"Heart." Two strips of paper folded in half, and after the ends folded inside.
- "Curl". The edges of the tapes are twisted in all sorts of directions.
"The Horns." The parts are joined together, and then folded into different edges using scissors.
- "Branches". Both sides are fastened in a ratio of 1: 2, and then are wound simultaneously by two parts along a single line.
The device for screwing the tapes can beTo buy in specialized shops where goods for creativity are sold. It is not very expensive and convenient enough to use. It is a long handle on which there is a forked metal tip.
Such an adaptation can also be made byhands, with the help of it will be very convenient to wind strips for quilling. It is necessary to take a toothpick and cut it from two sides so as to remove the sharp ends. Then, using a knife, it is required to make a longitudinal incision of 1 cm.
When preparing the tool, you can useanother option. For him it is necessary to saw off the tip of the needle from the side of the ear so that a forked "fork" turns out, and with a sharp end stuck it into the cork or into a simple brush, after removing the bristles from it. Such a device perfectly fits any size of strips for quilling.
But still a professional device is more convenient and easy to operate.
To join twisted tapes, you need touse glue, most often used PVA. Those who perform large works, for example paintings, can purchase a liter jar and pour it into small containers for ease and convenience.
And also many professionals use glutinousA pistol with which the strips for quilling are fixed. Its composition does not require time to freeze, you can immediately proceed to the next work without fear of shifting elements.