How to make papier-mache?
Watch the video
Papier-mache is the mass obtained by mixing fibrous materials (paper, cardboard) and glue. We owe this technology to the Chinese, who used it to make helmets. From papier-mache, you can make interior items, furniture, models and various crafts. Now let's try to figure out how to make papier-mache with your own hands.
To begin with, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the following method. The mass obtained by this method is very economical, but somewhat rough. It is perfectfor rough work.
For the work we need:
- a roll of gray toilet paper or paper cells from eggs;
- We tear the toilet paper into small pieces, put it in a saucepan and fill it with water so that it covers only a little. Put the pan on the stove and cook, stirring constantly, until a homogeneous mass is obtained, which must be drained through a colander. If you decide to use egg cells as a base, soak them in hot water for at least 5 hours.As soon as the cells are softened, mix them up to form small pieces. We recline the mixture in a colander.
- Using a food processor or blender, shred our paper. You can not wait for it to dry out, in this state the equipment will not be able to cope with it.
- We pour out our fibers with a thin layer on the film and dry them thoroughly until almost dry. You can dry them completely. So you will always have a blank, from which you can quickly knead papier-mâché.
- Add some paste to the mass and start kneading it. Gradually adding the paste, continue to knead the mass. Once it becomes elastic, you can begin to work with it.
Now consider the second option, how to make papier-mâché.
Prepare for work:
- a roll of gray toilet paper;
- hot water;
- a piece of chalk;
- PVA glue;
- glue Bustilat.
- Toilet paper is filled with a small amount of hot water. Now you need to turn this mass into porridge. For this purpose, you can use a food processor or blender. But if it is a pity to use the technique, take a plunger and work on it. The effect will be the same.
- Well press the resulting mass. It is best for this to fold it on the fabric. For further work, we will need not all of its quantity, butonly 230 grams.
- We add to our paper 50 ml of PVA glue and 150 ml of Bustilat glue.
- Now mix all the ingredients thoroughly to form a homogeneous pasty substance. This can be done by hand, but if the husband has a drill with a special nozzle for kneading, we recommend using it.
- Enter into the mass of clay powder (3 teaspoons) and 150 ml of starch. Stir our mixture. Add 150 ml of chalk and begin to knead the mass, as you would do with the dough.
- Gradually pour chalk and starch until you get the right consistency. If you plan to apply the mass with a brush - softer, if you sculpt - to the state of clay.
You need to keep such papier-mâché in the fridge by placing it in a bag or plastic container. If the mass seems to be tight, add a little Bustilat before starting to work.
According to this recipe, papier-mâché turns plastic, practically does not dry out and does not need painstaking sanding.
If you have any questions, check out the video, which details how to make papier-mâché.