How to make mayonnaise at home?
Watch the video
Mayonnaise is a favorite sauce for many. He is loved not only for taste and availability, but also for its practicality. After all, it can be used to season salads, pickle meat, add to soup, it can serve as the basis for a variety of sauces. Today, mayonnaise store manufacturers have learned how to prepare this product using safe ingredients, but despite this, store mayonnaise still doesn’t compare to mayonnaise, which was prepared at home.
In this article we will look at how to make mayonnaise at home.
Ingredients for Homemade Mayonnaise
The main components of mayonnaise are good eggs and high-quality vegetable oil. Mustard, vinegar and lemon juice are added to the mayonnaise to impart an unusual flavor. It depends on the quality of vegetable oil and the freshness of eggs, what the taste of mayonnaise will be.
To make mayonnaise, you will need:
- EggsYou can take for your mayonnaise the most common options - chicken or quail eggs. If we consider that the second is more useful and not susceptible to salmonellosis, it will be more correct to choose them.
- Vegetable oil. For a simple recipe for every day, you can use sunflower oil. In the case of a festive mayonnaise supply to the table, use olive. If you like nutty flavor, add 1-2 teaspoons of linseed oil during cooking. Do not overdo it, otherwise mayonnaise can start to taste bitter.
- Lemon juice or vinegar.
- Mustard. When adding mustard, you must be sure of its quality. Since mustard changes the flavor of mayonnaise, it must be tasty and fresh. Otherwise, the mayonnaise may be spoiled.
- Sugar (it is better to use powdered sugar), salt, pepper.
Mayonnaise cooking process
In fact, the process of making homemade mayonnaise is not at all complicated. The main thing is that when cooking it, you can choose the spiciness and amount of mustard in it. Most store mayonnaise really lacks pronounced taste. You, in addition to the standard set, can add your own mayonnaise with other spices or, for example, with pickles.
You will need:
- 5-6 quail eggs;
- 250 ml of favorite vegetable oil;
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice;
- 1 teaspoon of mustard (do not take powder);
- Sugar, salt, black pepper (to taste).
- Break eggs into deep dishes and beat them at medium speed with a mixer until smooth. You can also use a blender for this purpose.
- After that, increase the speed of beating and start to pour in vegetable oil with a thin stream. Beat until you get the desired consistency, the mass should be homogeneous. If it seemed to you that mayonnaise is watery, add vegetable oil to it.
- Now add mustard, a pinch of salt, sugar, pepper, lemon juice (vinegar) and whisk.
- Try the taste. If it seemed to you that not enough of any ingredients, add them.
The secrets of cooking mayonnaise
As in any dish, in the preparation of mayonnaise has its own characteristics and secrets.
- It is better to use unrefined extra virgin oil when it comes to olive oil.
- In order to quickly beat the mayonnaise, it is necessary that all the products be at room temperature.
- In case you used eggs with a dull yolk, add a little bit of turmeric into the dish with sugar, salt and pepper.She will paint the mayonnaise, and also give it a golden hue. Keep in mind that turmeric should be a bit.
- For added flavor, add olives, gherkins or greens to your mayonnaise: parsley, dill, chili pepper.
- Store mayonnaise in the refrigerator for no more than 3 days.