How to increase the paging file?
Some users experience problems with working on a computer due to a lack of RAM. System performance in this case leaves much to be desired, so the work becomes more complicated. A little bit to improve the situation, if you figure out how to increase the paging file.
This operating system is gradually losing ground, but still many users still install it on their computers.
- To increase the Windows XP swap file, go to the start menu.
- Next, click on "My Computer", right-click and go to the "Properties" menu. The actions you need can be done on the Advanced tab.
- Pay your attention to the "Speed" block and select "Parameters" in it. In the dialog box that opens, there will be three tabs, you need to go to the "Advanced" tab.
- Below you will see the “Virtual Memory” block, in which you will need to click on “Change”. You will see exactly where your paging file is located. To change its size, click on "Special Size" and in the window specify how much disk space you allocate for it.
- In some cases, it is convenient to transfer the paging file to the wrong disk on which the operating system is installed. In this case, in the same dialog box, select “Without paging file” and click “Set”.
- Now select the disk to which you want to move your paging file and again click on “Special Size” and enter what size your paging file will be.
- Now save the changes, close the window and restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
In some cases, there is a need to increase the Windows 7 paging file.
The operating system is able to independently determine the size of the paging file. As a rule, it places it on the same disk on which it is installed. The easiest way to increase speed is to increase the paging file itself, as well as transfer it to another disk.
To ensure optimal performance of the computer, it is necessary that the paging file is not less than the computer's RAM, and its maximum size should be twice as large. For example, for a computer with 1 GB of RAM, the paging file should be 1 GB, and its maximum size should be 2 GB.
- To transfer the swap file and increase its size, you must click on "My Computer" and call the context menu. In it you need the item "Properties", and in it - "Advanced system settings."
- In the dialog box that opens, you need to go to the “Advanced” tab and click on “Parameters” in the “Performance” block.
- Next, go to "Additional - Virtual Memory - Change."
- As you will see, the paging file will be on drive C.
- Click on it and select "Without paging file" to remove it from this disk.
- Now select the disk on which you want to place your paging file, and check the box “Specify Size”.
- Specify the initial and maximum size of your paging file.
- Now click on “Ask” and restart your computer for the changes to take effect.