How to harvest sorrel for the winter. Procurement Methods
Sorrel is a useful herb that is actively used in the preparation of green borscht, okroshka and various salads. In the warm season of this plant plenty, but in the cold months on any shelves and shops can not find it. What to take, so that in January you can enjoy the sour taste of green borscht? There is a way out: you need to stock up on this vegetable crop from the summer. And today we will learn how to prepare sorrel for the winter and what recipes you can use.
Cold pickling vegetables
This recipe will require sorrel (1 kg) and salt (30 g). Rinse, dry, lay the leaves on a wide towel, chop and salt. Put sorrel in clean, cleaned jars and tamp it well. Pour cold water on top, put a pinch of salt, and then tightly close the capron lid. Canned sorrel is ready for winter, and now locate it in a cool place for further storage (cellar or refrigerator).
Harvesting vegetables for the winter without salt
For this recipe we need:
- sorrel - 1 kg;
- dill - 200 g;
- green onion - 200 g;
- water - 300 g
- Rinse and chop the dill and chop finely, then lower the herbs into a saucepan, where the water should boil.
- Sorrel thoroughly wash, remove all unnecessary blade of grass, and get rid of the stalks. Cut the plant into oblong strips and lower it into the pan, where greens are already present. Simmer over the entire mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Prepare jars for preservation, wash thoroughly with water using soda, and then sterilize in an oven or steamed.
- When the cooking time of greens comes to an end, take a large spoon and begin to gently shift the contents of the pan to half-liter vessels and immediately roll them up.
Canning sorrel without salt is a fairly easy process, and we don’t need this white powder, because the acid contained in the plant is a kind of preservative.
To the note: it is more rational to roll our vegetable culture into 0.5 l cans, since an open container with greens cannot be stored for longer than one week, and you will open and use your entire preparation.
Freeze the plant
How to prepare sorrel for the winter to reduce the time for its preparation? It is enough just to freeze it.
This method of preparation is suitable for those who have a large freezer and a place to store greenery. Sorrel freeze for the winter can be carried out in two ways.
- Take out the fresh leaves of the plant, remove unnecessary tails and carefully wash each leaf under water. Then put the leaves on a wide towel and let them dry completely. Then cut into strips and put in cellophane bags, and immediately determine in the freezer.
- Wash sorrel, cut it as you like, and then throw the plant into boiling water for 2 minutes. Then quickly remove the greens with a skimmer and tilt it in a colander in order to drain excess water. Leave the plant in the ladle for 2 hours to cool the mass. While the sorrel cools, take out special molds, in which you will then put greens. Tamp down the cooled mass in the prepared container and send it to the freezer. Later, when the vegetable crop grabs and turns into frozen cubes, you can remove the molds, and pour the plant into a bag.
Green vitamins in their own juice
Sorrel for the winter in banks can be prepared byThe following is quite a simple recipe:
- In a large pot, draw water so that it fills the tank 1/3.
- In a half-liter jar, tamp the washed and chopped sorrel leaves, and then put the containers in a deep stewpan. Put the pot on the gas and see: when the water boils, the plant will start to let its own juice, and the leaves begin to settle, then you will need to add your vegetable crop to the jars, and if you already fill the container, you need to remove them and close them with mittens plastic cover.
You now know how to harvest sorrel in your own juice for the winter. Store jars need in a cool place, preferably in the cellar. And do not worry about the damage to the product, because the acid that is in the plant, will not allow the workpiece to deteriorate.
Preparation of mashed potatoes from useful vegetable culture
Canned sorrel for the winter can be prepared in the form of a liquid mass, and to do this, follow these steps:
- Leave the leaves, wash and dip in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Remove the sorrel from the water and, without waiting for it to cool, wipe it through a fine sieve.
- Put the puree into a saucepan and put on the fire.When the contents of the saucepan boil, distribute the rubbed sorrel in sterilized jars.
- Put the containers with contents in a pan with cold water, and when it boils, reduce the heat and sterilize for about 40 minutes. When the time is up, remove the jars with the help of mittens and roll them up using the key for preservation.
How to make sorrel for the winter so that there is room in the freezer, and you also do not have to bother with the cans and preserve this plant? To do this, you can dry the leaves of our vegetable culture. To do this correctly, you need to use the following recommendations:
- Sorrel wash, remove unnecessary tails, and then finely cut it and spread on paper or towel.
- Turn the pieces of paper from time to time to dry them evenly.
Put the finally dried sorrel in a bag or chop it to a powder and transfer it to a jar.
You can store such a billet at room temperature, the humidity in the room should be no higher than 60%.
Now you know several ways to harvest a healthy vegetable called sorrel.If the size of your freezer allows you to freeze the plant, it will be the easiest and fastest way. If the refrigerator is small, then it is better to preserve this grass in a hot or cold way. The option of drying is also possible, but in the end the sorrel can turn out with bitterness. What way to use the workpiece, you decide, because it all depends on your desire, time and opportunity.