How to cook the kidneys?
Watch the video
As is known, offal is often used in traditional cuisines of different countries. Kidneys contain beneficial vitamins and substances. Perhaps the most important problem in the preparation of the kidneys is to properly cut and remove the smell, which is a very serious disadvantage of this type of by-products. But if you learn to cook the kidneys, you will realize that this is not just a delicious dinner. With the help of the kidneys you can make a real delicacy. Let us consider in more detail how to cook pig and beef kidneys.
Ukrainian pork kidneys
The preparation of the kidneys is quite a long and delicate process. They take much longer than other offal. Therefore, before you start cooking, you need to prepare them correctly.
- 500 grams of chilled pork kidneys
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion
- 4 pickled cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Spices (lava leaf and black pepper peas)
- Clean the kidneys of fat and films, cut each into two parts, rinse thoroughly.
- Put the kidneys in a saucepan and cover with water, put in the fridge for 8 hours. After that, remove, drain and repeat the procedure. For the fifth time in the water, which you will fill the kidneys, add vinegar. This will be needed to make the smell disappear.
- After this long preparation, put the kidneys in a pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Drain, then type clean water in a pot with kidneys and put on fire. Boil for 1.5 hours.
- When the buds are ready, remove them from the broth and cut into slices.
- Fry the onion to the golden state and add the buds, stir and simmer for another couple of minutes.
- For the sauce, fry 1 tablespoon of flour with 3 tablespoons of butter, pour in 100 ml of broth and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Finely chop the pickled cucumbers and add to the pan with onions and kidneys, drain the sauce.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
Is done. Salted cucumbers can easily be replaced by pickled tomatoes. Buckwheat porridge or mashed potatoes will suit well as a side dish.
This recipe is suitable for those who do not like the extra calories and frying, it is also suitable for preparing the kidneys for use, if you are going to make of them pate.Like pork kidneys, beef must be processed to ensure that the smell disappears and does not interfere with the flavor of the finished dish.
- 1 kg of chilled beef kidneys
- 2 carnation heads
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Clean the kidneys of fat, films, and large blood vessels. There are mistresses who advise to leave some fat - this should make the kidneys richer. But here, as you know, a matter of your taste.
- Soak the kidneys in water for at least three hours. If possible, it is better to soak them for twelve hours. Do not forget to put them in the fridge. This will be the first step to rid the kidneys of unpleasant smell.
- After soaking the kidneys, remove them and cut them into pieces the size of a matchbox. This will help them to prepare more evenly.
- For the second stage of getting rid of the smell, pour the kidneys in a pot with water and bring to a boil. After that, drain the water, rinse them in cold water and repeat this procedure twice.
- For the third time, fill the kidneys with water and bring to a boil. After 20 minutes of cooking, add spices and seasonings. After that, boil them for another 40 minutes.
Beef liver cooked in this way goes well with jacket potatoes. Ordinary boiled potatoes will also be just right. Also, after the liver is cooked, you can put it out with onions to add extra flavor and aroma.