How to cook fish in foil?
There are many ways to cook different varieties of fish, but the fastest, easiest and at the same time very tasty one is fish in foil. Moreover, this method virtually eliminates the risk of cooking fish dry, especially if you cook it with greens, vegetables and all sorts of spices. In the summer, you can cook fish in foil not only in the oven or the slow cooker, but also bake it in nature on coals. This article describes how to cook fish in foil in order to get tender, juicy and preserved all its beneficial properties of meat.
About what methods of cooking fish are used at all, you can find out in our article How to cook fish.
How to cook fish in foil: tips
- When buying fish you need to pay attention to its appearance. Fresh fish has shiny and smooth scales. Her belly should not be swollen, and her eyes should be transparent and shiny. In addition, you should also smell the meat before you buy: fresh fish should not have a sour smell.
- Fish of any kind before cooking should be thoroughly washed, cleaned of scales from the tail to the head. Then you should remove the insides. At the same time, care should be taken not to damage the gallbladder, so that the meat does not acquire a bitter taste. If you are unable to avoid this, you should thoroughly wash the fish from the inside. It is important to note that any fish should be washed with cold running water.
- If you purchased frozen fish, you should first defrost it without using a microwave or other appliance. After that, clean and rinse thoroughly. In foil almost any fish is cooked as a whole, and in portions.
- If you decide to bake the fish in portions, then you need to divide it into equal parts, rub them with salt, pepper and other seasonings to your own taste. The fins, tail and head of the fish are removed as desired. It is worth adding that the fish is cooked whole longer, so that by dividing it into pieces, you will save cooking time.
- River fish should be cooked a little longer than the sea, since very often it contains eggs of parasites, which can be destroyed only during the heat treatment process.By the way, if you like river fish, you can read carp cooking recipes in our article How to cook carp.
How to cook fish in the oven in foil: a recipe
It is easy to bake fish in foil in the oven, you can cook it exclusively with spices (bay leaf, black and allspice, oregano, lemon, etc. are perfectly combined with fish), and you can add vegetables and various greens - potatoes, dill, parsley , onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc. These products can be put in the belly of the fish, if you cook it whole, or you can simply put them into pieces. Also inside often put pieces of butter. You can put it inside the foil.
The foil is usually folded in half to make an envelope, the edges of which are folded a couple of times. The main thing is that the juice that is formed during the cooking process does not flow out of the foil. Dry varieties of fish are usually smeared with butter, and the foil itself - vegetable. Fatty varieties are recommended to be marinated in lemon juice before cooking.
For example, here’s a quick and easy recipe for cooking trout in foil:
- One cleaned and washed whole trout from the inside stuffed with lemon slices, add salt, pepper and seasoning to taste.
- Put parsley sprigs in the belly of the fish and pour over all the olive oil.
- Salt and pepper the trout outside.
- Wrap the fish tightly with foil.
- Place in the oven, preheated to 180 degrees, and cook for 30-40 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, remove the foil from the top, pour the trout with olive oil, so that the fish becomes rosy.
- After 10 minutes, put the finished fish on a dish, sprinkle with herbs and decorate with vegetables if desired.