How to close the program?
Watch the video
Very often, PC users are faced with a program freezing situation, that is, when it does not work normally and does not close. If you encounter this problem, see how to forcibly close a program that is hanging.
Closing the window
Before resorting to more serious methods, you can try to just close the window of the program that stopped responding. For this:
- Make sure that the application you want to end is active and press the Alt + F4 key combination.
- Try right-clicking on the tab of the hung application and select "Close the program".
- In the end, if the situation is not too critical, you can right-click on the application icon in the upper right corner and select the “Close” item from the drop-down list.
Task Manager - a computer program that displays a list of running processes. With the help of the dispatcher, you can complete any process.
To call the Task Manager, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Delete. After that, a menu will appear in which you can launch Task Manager.
There is a way to do this faster by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc. In this case, the dispatcher will start immediately (without opening the menu).
To close the program, in the “Applications” tab, select the hung application (marked as “Not responding” in the rightmost column) and click the “End Task” button. Or you can click on the application with the right mouse button and select the same item from the drop-down list.
There are situations in which even this method does not help. In this case, you need to go to the “Processes” tab and find in it the process that you intend to complete. The search will be somewhat complicated by the fact that this tab lists all applications that are currently running, including the background ones. In addition, the name may differ significantly from that indicated in the tab "Applications" because in the "Processes" displays the name of the executable file, not the program.
So, having found the hung application, you can close it by selecting and clicking on the “End Process” button.An alternative option is to click on the application with the right mouse button and select the same item from the drop-down list. If you intend not only to close the program, but also to complete all the processes associated with it, select from the list “Complete Process Tree”. This function will close all processes directly or indirectly related to the hung program.
For more information on completing a process using Task Manager, see the article How to stop a program.
Third Party Applications
There are malicious programs that cannot be “killed” with standard Windows tools. To manage such applications, you need to use third-party programs. For example, Process Hacker or Process Explorer from Microsoft.
Since such programs are equipped with a more complex interface, they are used by more experienced users. But they can take advantage and beginners. You only need to run the program and find the desired process. After that, complete it by selecting the appropriate item (kill, complete or close).
There is a tricky way to update all the tasks being performed - restart Explorer. Such an action may lead to the termination of the hang of non-responsive applications.To shut down the explorer in Task Manager, open the Processes tab and stop explorer.exe. After that, in the “Applications” tab of the dispatcher, you must click on the “New task” button and enter “explorer” in the field that appears. The explorer starts up again, and the hung application may be updated.
An alternative way to close the program is to create a shortcut, the launch of which will lead to the completion of all hung processes.
To use this method, you will need:
- Right-click on the desktop and select “Create shortcut” from the list.
- In the field below the line “Specify the location of the object” insert “taskkill.exe / f / fi" status eq not responding "".
- Name the label to be created.
- Assign a shortcut key to be able to quickly trigger a process. To do this, click the RMB on the shortcut, select “Properties” in the context menu, in the “Label” tab enter the combination in the “Quick call” field.
- Assign launch as administrator.
Now, as soon as any program hangs, click the assigned combination and it closes.
To exit to the desktop while freezing the full-screen application, try:
- Press the "Windows" button on the keyboard.
- Use one of the function keys F1-F12.
- Press the Esc key on the keyboard.
- Use the combination of keys Win + Tab or Alt + Tab and select the desktop.
If none of the options fit, read the article How to complete the process, where additional recommendations are presented.
What not to do
- Do not restart the computer in emergency mode with the Reset button on the chassis of the system unit. This is an extreme measure.
- Do not attempt to start the unresponsive process again. In this way, you load the memory of the machine even more.
- Do not run other programs.