How to choose a subwoofer for your computer?
The subwoofer is the most important element of multi-channel. It can be used with two-channel or five-channel technology. What is a subwoofer for a computer and how to choose it correctly - these are the most frequently asked questions.
It is a loudspeaker that takes on the task of reproducing the lowest frequencies that are perceived by a person. A subwoofer for a computer or other equipment, has a number of the most important characteristics:
- frequency range expressed in hertz. Typically, a subwoofer for a computer works in the range of 40-200 Hz, but there are also models that are able to deliver sound at a frequency of 20 Hz.
- cut-off frequency, that is, the frequency at which the spectrum is divided by the crossover. If this parameter of the device is 80 hertz, then in the signal applied to it, all components are weakened, whose frequencies are above this mark. Such components will be fed to the speaker system.
- maximum sound pressure, or more simply, the highest volume of the instrument.
- sensitivity. The most optimal value of this parameter is 90 decibels. Such an indicator makes it possible not to exploit the equipment in some extraordinary modes.
- diameter of the subwoofer in inches or millimeters.
A very large part of the important frequencies for human perception is at the very bottom of the range, and the spectrum of most phonograms from films or music is most pronounced there. High quality audio recordings require the ability to reproduce bass frequencies, so this parameter should be given special attention when choosing components for a speaker system.
A subwoofer for a computer has a deceptively simple design. Usually it is a rather large case, having a cubic or similar shape, made from traditional materials used for acoustic systems, having a built-in subwoofer reproducing a range of 20-500 Hz. In depth, the course of the speaker emitter often reaches 7 centimeters. The most common type is a bass reflex subwoofer.In this embodiment, a power amplifier, a splitter filter, as well as a subwoofer are combined in one package. Active subwoofers can be connected in one of three types. In the first variant, it is assumed that there are linear inputs through which the preamplifier is connected, linear outputs from which a signal is fed to the power amplifier, as well as an instrument level control. Usually, the frequency of the split can be adjusted directly on the instrument, which allows you to select a value that is able to ensure optimal coordination with the main loudspeakers.
Considering the question of how to connect a subwoofer to a computer, we can mention the second option, which implies a signal to the device and the main speakers. In the third variant, the connection to high-level inputs is carried out, and the correction of parameters is carried out thanks to filters that cut off all frequencies, except the necessary ones. If we talk about how much a subwoofer costs to a computer, then it is worth noting a strong price run, which depends on various parameters.The minimum cost is around twenty dollars, and the maximum can be very high.