How to care for the ficus?
Ficus is a common roomplant. It has many varieties: Ficus lyrate, Ficus Benjamin, Ficus elastika, Ficus rubber, Ficus dwarf, Ficus Bengali, etc. So, how to care for the ficus?
- Location. It is better to determine it immediately, because Ficus does not like changes. Do not move, move, disturb it. In summer, you can move to fresh air.
- Lighting. The place should be illuminated, with its lack of ficus loses the leaves, slows down the growth and lengthens the internodes.
- Temperature. In summer 25-30 degrees, in winter 16-20. The safe minimum temperature is 10 degrees, for variegated 15. Do not allow sudden temperature changes. In winter it is better, if the ficus is in a dry and warm residential area, additional lighting and spraying is required.
- Air. Requires a ventilated room, but preferably without drafts.
- Watering. A lot of watering is required in the summer, but the land dries up between watering. Ficus is poured with warm water from above several times until water drains out of the drainage holes, after half an hour, the water from the pan is drained off.
- Air humidity. Optimal - 70%, but not less than 50%. Spraying with warm, soft water is helpful.
- Substrate. For young ficuses, a light mixture (leaf land, peat, sand in equal proportions) is usually used. For adults, a more dense mixture (add humus and sod land). Protect the plant from rotting and stagnant water drainage layer (pieces of charcoal and a layer of expanded clay). On sale there are ready-made mixtures ("Ficus", "Palma").
- Capacity for planting. Young medium-sized ficuses are suitable for ceramic or plastic pots. Large - wooden tubs or modern plastic containers.
- Transfer. It is better to spend in the spring-summer period for better adaptation. Signs for transplantation are: rapid drying of the soil and crawling roots. Young plants require an annual transplant into a large container for 2-3 cm. The method of transshipment. To facilitate removal of the ficus, it should be watered. Then remove the top layer of the earth. Shake and place in a new container (previously pouring a drainage layer into it and sprinkling it with earth). Top with fresh soil without groove. Plants older than 4 years are transplanted once every two to three years into a container larger by 3-4 cm. In large cymbals, only the top layer of the earth is changed 1 or 2 times a year.
- The period of rest. From October to February.
- Fertilizer. Use, alternating, organic or mineral fertilizers in spring and summer 1 time in 10-14 days (Ideal, Kemira, Rainbow, Palma).
You learned how to care for the flower of the ficus, but how does it multiply? Let's consider further.
Ficuses reproduce by cuttings, they shouldconsist of half of the lower internodes without an eye and a leaf with an intact eye. The drop is immersed in warm water to stop the secretion of the juice. For a better rooting, you can make a cut or split on the bottom.
How to care for the ficus of Benjamin
It is more elegant and more like a tree. He has small leaves, tips are extended.
It is very important to correctly form the crown whencultivation of the fig tree of Benjamin. Vertical shoots in his weak can take a horizontal direction, which is often the cause of one-sided crown. In the pot you can plant several plants at once, this is required to keep the bush in a vertical position. As the growth of young shoots intertwine and fuse. You can use the support peg. Ficus Benjamin very easily tolerates a haircut, you can form a beautiful crown.
- Location. A bright place, but protect from direct sunlight.
- Watering. Moderate, do not allow soil to dry out or over-moisten. The water is soft at room temperature. Regular spraying, especially in summer.
- Care. Fertilizing with organic and mineral fertilizers from March to August two weeks later. Cutting shoots (leads to branching).
- Transfer. Transplant should be in the spring, if the roots are already getting out of the pot. The substrate is composed of equal parts humus or compost, peat or turf, earth and sand. For large woody plants, the proportion of sod land is increased.
- Reproduction. Propagate the ficus with apical cuttings.
- Diseases. Shields, thrips, spider mites.
These are the main components of how to properly care for the ficus, following them, your plant will grow, and turn green in gratitude to you!