How many Heroes of the Soviet Union?
The honorary title of Hero of the Soviet Union is the highest degree of distinction of the USSR. He was honored for outstanding services during the conduct of hostilities or for accomplishments. In addition, as an exception, and in peace years. How many Heroes of the Soviet Union are on the list of those awarded with this highest degree of distinction? According to the 1991 data, there were 12776 people.
From pre-war history
- The title was approved in 1934. The polar pilots who participated in the rescue of the crew and passengers of the Chelyuskin steamer were the first to receive it.
- In the same 1934, the pilot M. M. Gromov received the title of Hero of the Soviet Union for setting a world record.
- At the very end of 1936, for the first time, the title of Hero of the Soviet Union was awarded for military exploits. He was awarded 11 commanders of the Red Army, who took part in the civil war in Spain. During the period from 1936 to 1939, 60 people received this highest award.
- Badge of medal "Gold Star" was introduced in 1939.Its first cavalier were 70 soldiers, who showed themselves during the defeat of the Japanese military group at Khalkhin Gol. Three of them received the Golden Star for the second time.
- The Soviet-Finnish War increased the list of Heroes by another 412 people.
- During the Great Patriotic War, another 11,657 people officially received the title of Hero of the Soviet Union, 90 of whom were women.
- Four times the Golden Star of the Hero is Zhukov Georgy Konstantinovich.
- Three times - Budyonny Semen Mikhailovich, Voroshilov Kliment Efremovich, Pokryshkin Alexander Ivanovich and Kozhedub Ivan Nikitovich.
- Twice this high rank was awarded to 153 people.
- 85 Heroes of the Soviet Union gave a military campaign in Afghanistan.
- In December 1991, Leonid Mikhailovich Solodkov, a specialist in diving equipment, became the last Hero of the Soviet Union.
With the collapse of the USSR, this award was also abolished. In today's time for outstanding services to the country given the title "Hero of the Russian Federation."