Hawthorn: useful properties and contraindications. Hawthorn: medicinal properties, recipes for use
Flowers and hawthorn fruit health bring great benefits. The plant is used to treat and prevent diseases of the blood vessels, the heart, normalize digestion and pressure, overcome insomnia, overwork, and eliminate nerve overstrain.
Interestingly, the berries of wild varieties were already used in ancient Asia. In the XVI century, the first cultural species were bred. Initially, hawthorn, the beneficial properties and contraindications to the use of which are described in detail in this article, was used to eliminate loose stools that appeared in dysentery. Then it began to be used to improve the condition of the vessels and the work of the heart.
It should be noted that the exact composition of the hawthorn plant is still unknown.Useful properties (and contraindications to the use of this are practically absent) plants allow its use in the treatment of various diseases. It is believed that the healing effect is achieved by plant polyphenols, flavonoids. In addition to giving the fruit a certain color, they help to eliminate the fragility of the walls of blood vessels, neutralize free radicals in the body. As part of the hawthorn can be identified:
- Quercetin- an excellent tool for the prevention and treatment of heart disease, disorders of cerebral circulation. Adequate intake reduces the risk of cataracts. It also reduces permeability, maintains the elasticity of capillaries, has antioxidant and antitumor effects.
- Vitexin- in the heart muscle enhances metabolic processes, dilates blood vessels.
- Hyperosideincreases the use of oxygen, increases glucose utilization, the heart enriches with potassium ions. Due to this, myocardial contractility and cardiac output are improved.
Hawthorn fruits also benefit from the properties of the acids included in their composition:
- oleanolic- improves brain function, blood supply to the heart and tones;
- ursolic- has anti-inflammatory and wound-healing effect;
- coffee shop- different antibacterial properties, in addition, contributes to the active secretion of bile;
- chlorogenic- useful for the normalization of the liver, kidneys, has choleretic and anti-sclerotic effect.
In the fruits of this plant a lot of provitamin A, carotene, vitamins E, C, K. By the amount of carotene, some varieties are comparable to rosehips or carrots. The fruits contain sugar and sorbitol, which is recommended in the case of diabetes. They also contain a lot of calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, trace elements of copper, manganese, and zinc. After freezing, the amount of tannins decreases, while the berries are not so tart and sweeter.
Medical and cosmetic properties
The use of flowers and fruits of the plant in the form of tincture, infusion, decoction benefits the human body, has a complex effect on various systems and organs. In cosmetics, the plant helps to restore skin moisture.Creams with him in the composition relieve swelling, tone up, eliminate any manifestations of age-related changes.
What hawthorn has useful properties? And contraindications before starting to use it in treatment should be taken into account, but we will dwell on them later. It has a vasodilating effect and at the same time tones the heart muscle, providing a normal supply of oxygen. The rhythm is established, the frequency decreases, the force of contractions of the body increases. Due to this, fatigue is reduced, anxiety decreases, cerebral circulation and coronary blood flow are improved. Hawthorn is useful property to reduce the manifestations of atrial fibrillation, as well as eliminate tachycardia.
Hawthorn fruits normalize cholesterol, blood clotting, and prevent the occurrence of atherosclerotic plaques. They are used for vascular spasms.
The use of tinctures and tinctures helps with gastritis, flatulence, difficult digestion in young children. Hawthorn is also used to fight loose stools. The beneficial properties (and contraindications, unfortunately, are) of its fruits and flowers make it possible to cope with vertigo, headache, shortness of breath.The substances contained in hawthorn prevent the emergence of various types of tumors, improve immunity, help restore strength after past infectious diseases. Young breastfeeding mothers use it to stimulate the formation of milk.
The benefit of hawthorn also lies in the fact that it has a sedative effect. This useful plant reduces the excitability of the nervous system, helps normalize sleep, helps eliminate insomnia.
For the preparation of therapeutic drugs that have a number of useful properties, the fruits and flowers of plants are used hawthorn red and spiny. They are well studied and contain a large number of compounds that normalize the work of the heart.
It should be emphasized that today you can buy the fruits of the plant in different dosage forms: it is powder, vegetable raw materials, tincture, lozenges, extract. Funds containing hawthorn in their composition help to eliminate arrhythmias, are used to lower cholesterol, calm the central nervous system, normalize blood clotting, increase the formation of milk, and in infants - to eliminate impaired digestion.
Reducing blood pressure is the ability that hawthorn flowers have (the instructions for drugs are always attached and you must first read it). Tincture of it is prepared from dried powdered fruit on alcohol.
Consider some drugs that contain hawthorn in one form or another:
- "Cardiovalen"- these are drops, which, due to valerian tincture, adonizid, hawthorn extract, which are part of them, have the property of increasing the force of heart contractions, moreover, have a sedative effect.
- "Fiterelax"produced in the form of tablets, includes hawthorn flower extract and valerian rhizome. Benefits due to the sedative properties, allows you to cope with increased nervous excitability, insomnia.
- "Valemidin"It is an alcohol drop designed to eliminate spasm of internal organs and vascular smooth muscle. They also have a sedative effect.
- "Amrita"It is an elixir in the form of a mixture of water-alcohol extracts of wild rose, ginger, elecampane, juniper, cardamom, hawthorn and licorice, thyme.Its medicinal properties and benefits are manifested by tonic and tonic effects.
- "Kedrovit"made in the form of an elixir. It increases the resilience of the human body, tones, helps to cope faster with fatigue. Its structure includes fruits and flowers of hawthorn, pine nuts, birch buds, black chokeberry fruit, honey.
Also interesting is the drug "Demidov syrup", which removes the spasm of smooth muscles, has an effective choleretic effect, reduces the occurrence of gases, while stimulating the motility. Includes birch buds, calamus, hawthorn fruit, oregano, oak bark.
We make hawthorn at home
It is useful to drink in season diluted juice from the fruit. It normalizes the digestive tract and improves blood circulation.
Put healing hawthorn (20 berries) in the thermos in the evening, add a little wild rose, pour a liter of boiling water. Already in the morning healthy tea is ready. It is better to brew the whole fruit, as they contain more healing substances. You can also make an infusion of dried flowers and hawthorn fruit - it has a huge number of useful properties.
Prepared hawthorn tincture is prepared from crushed dried flowers or fruits.Its use is possible with angina and hypertension. The prepared components are infused with vodka for two weeks at the rate of 4 spoons of raw materials for 2 glasses of vodka. The resulting tincture is filtered. It is used with water, 30 drops an hour before meals.
The easiest recipe for making it at home is to boil whole berries with boiling water and leave in a thermos for the night at the rate of 2 handfuls of fruit per liter of boiling water. Drink three times a day for a third cup. The infusion is useful for angina, arrhythmias, as well as for getting rid of nervous arousal. Crushed berries will brew faster. It is necessary to pour a spoonful of fruit with a glass of hot water. Half an hour later, the therapeutic home remedy is fully prepared. Drink a third of a glass each time before meals.
Any plant can benefit if it is properly used, it is especially important for heart diseases. Before you begin to use hawthorn, you need to consult with a specialist, especially for severe disorders of the kidneys or heart.Although hawthorn has beneficial properties, and there are also contraindications to its use. What is the danger?
- Long-term use can cause an increase in heart rate.
- Applying too many fruits can cause poisoning.
- By consuming drugs from it on an empty stomach, a spasm of the blood vessels or intestines can be caused, and vomiting can also begin. In such a situation, it is necessary to take tinctures and infusions a couple of hours after meals, to reduce the dose or concentration of the drug.
- It is not necessary to immediately drink cool water when treating hawthorn, otherwise paroxysmal pain, intestinal colic may begin.
In addition, doctors advise hypotonia in some cases (for the effective use of the beneficial properties of the plant in the treatment of heart disease) to use infusions of flowers, and not the fruits of the plant.