Gonarthrosis of the knee: stages and treatment
Gonarthrosis of the knee joint (other names: osteoarthrosis, arthrosis, deforming arthrosis) is a disease that is characterized by the desiccation of cartilage tissue, as well as deformity of the joint and the violation of its functions. This pathology is spreading, as a rule, to the elderly and people who are actively involved in sports.
Diagnosis of the disease
The main method of confirming the disease is the x-ray procedure of the knee joint. But in the early stages of the development of pathology, even this study will not show any changes. And already at a later date, sclerosis of cartilage, narrowing of the joint space, salt deposition and bone damage can be found. Also, for the diagnosis of the disease, ultrasound of the sore joint is used, but the x-rays cannot be completely replaced by this procedure.
Stages of gonarthrosis and their symptoms
This disease is divided into three types, each of which is characterized by different clinical manifestations and the degree of dysfunction of the knee joint. Stages of gonarthrosis:
- The first degree is manifested by the periodic appearance of dull pain in the knee joint. As a rule, this occurs when driving or any other load. There may also be swelling, which eventually goes away on its own. At this stage of the disease, the knee joints have not yet been deformed.
- Gonarthrosis of the knee joint 2 degrees can be characterized by increasing pain, which lasts a longer time. When the knee moves, a crunch in the joints and their stiffness can be observed. In order to avoid pain, some take analgesics and limit the flexion and extension movements of the joint.
- Grade 3 gonarthrosis is manifested by all the symptoms that can be observed with this disease. The pain begins to be felt almost all the time, regardless of the condition of the knee (in rest or movement). It may also appear when the weather changes. As a rule, at this stage of gonarthrosis the gait is disturbed, the limitations in movement become more pronounced. Outwardly, you can see that the knee joint is a bit deformed.
Gonarthrosis of the knee: folk remedies treatment and surgery
In the initial stages of the pathology, therapeutic methods are used to get rid of this disease, which may include painkillers, reduction of physical exertion, wearing chondroprotectors, massage, physiotherapy, the use of various popular recipes and a special diet. With the inefficiency of the implementation of the above measures, surgical intervention is assigned, which is divided into 2 stages:
- The operation itself is aimed at removing all the deforming elements and growths that interfere with the normal operation of the joint. Surgical intervention is performed using an arthroscope - a device that allows you to perform all manipulations without opening the joint.
- The process of prosthetics, which is aimed at replacing the own cells of the joint with artificial analogues.