Fracture of the rib: treatment at home with drugs and folk remedies
Ribs break less often than hands or feet. However, it is still a common trauma. People often do not realize (at least once) that they have a broken rib. Treatment in the home, however, is not carried out in all cases. Most often, the victim is still hospitalized. This is due to the fact that there is a risk of damage to the ribs of vital "neighbors" - lungs, heart, kidneys, depending on which rib is damaged.
Causes of fracture of ribs
The causes of fractures can be conditionally divided into, so to speak, natural and pathological.
The first category includes:
- Accident. The most common cause of these fractures, and the injured are usually the driver, hit the chest on the steering wheel during a collision. Pedestrians receive similar injuries either when colliding with a car, or when striking against asphalt, or when moving the wheel. If a single fracture of the rib occurs during an accident, treatment at home is permissible in the event that the fracture is not fragmentation and closed.
- Blow into the chest. With sufficient strength and use of any objects, ribs can be damaged.
- Fall from a certain height. If for a young person this should be a high enough point (for example, a tree, a fence or a shed roof), then in old age, with thinning of bone tissue, you can get a broken rib from the chair.
- Sports injuries.
- Squeezing (according to the type of work of the press). Usually such industrial injuries. Damage is not limited only to the ribs, they also affect the pelvis, and in some cases also the skull. It is clear that there is not one fracture of the rib - it is impossible to treat such injuries at home.
Pathological fractures of the ribs canTo be formed not in extreme situations owing to weakening of bones owing to problems with health. Among the factors that can provoke such fractures of the rib, you can call:
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Cancerous metastases: in the chest they are given malignant tumors of the breast, prostate, kidney. Bone cancer can also be referred to here.
- Osteoporosis. The brittleness of the bones resulting from it leads to the fact that a fracture of the rib can occur even with a slight effect.
- The absence of the sternum is both acquired and innate.
- Genetic skeletal anomalies. Analogues of osteoporosis, only have other mechanisms. The essence remains the same - too fragile bones.
People who have such abnormalities in the body should take extra care to avoid possible injuries.
What are the rib fractures
They differ on several grounds.
- Integrity of the skin: divided into closed (without its violation) and open, with the formation of a wound.
- Degree of bone damage: full (the rib breaks down the entire thickness), subperiosteal (the integrity is partially preserved). The crack, in principle, also a broken rib. Treatment at home after the examination and a visit to the surgeon is the easiest and harmless option.
- By location: the final - several fractures on one side - and bilateral - from both. The latter are especially dangerous for lung damage.
- The number of injured ribs: single and multiple.
- By the formation of debris: with a shift (if any) and without it.
Treatment is appointed taking into account all the symptoms.
The most common fractures
Usually the injured are bones,forming the maximum bend, that is, from the fifth to the eighth. The most common of these is a fracture of the 8th rib. Treatment usually does not include fixation: it is effective only up to 5 ribs. From the ninth to the twelfth, the bones are broken extremely seldom: they are sufficiently mobile, so that they seem to bend under the impact. However, if obtained, for example, fractured ribs 9, treatment is limited to anesthesia (e.g., using ketanova), dry heat and sedentary position. It is necessary to lie as little as possible, and for a speedy recovery the surgeon usually advises to walk more. If there is a fracture of the 10 ribs, the treatment is no different from the previous one. Additional breathing exercises may be recommended. The simplest version of it is inflation of air balls (naturally, neatly and without much diligence).
Symptoms of a broken rib
They are easily recognized even by a person who does not havemedical education. First of all, this is the intense posture of the victim with a pronounced inclination toward the injury. Large hematoma with swelling can speak about injury, but if it is available it is necessary to see a doctor - to take action in the case of a rib fracture. Touching the injured place is much more painful than with a normal bruise. During breathing, the thorax visually lags behind. And if a person has shortness of breath and an uncharacteristic, whistling sound of breathing, then it is possible that the lung is damaged, and immediate hospitalization is required. Pneumothorax occurs usually with complete damage from the fifth to the eighth rib; Treatment of fracture of the 7th rib starts with restoring the integrity of the lung and maintaining the function of breathing.
If you suspect a broken rib, the best help is -do not interfere with non-professional activities. Do not heat or apply ice, something to smear or tighten the chest. The latter is especially dangerous: if a bruise formed a fragment, when tugging, it can pierce the lung or heart. The victim should be immediately taken to the emergency room, holding in a semi-sitting position: it is usually easier to breathe. The maximum that can be done is to give an anesthetic, and one that will not impede breathing. It is quite appropriate to "Promedol", and "Fentanyl" categorically does not fit.
Assigned by X-ray results. If the injury is uncomplicated and there is a crack or a single fracture of the rib, the treatment is at home: medications prescribed by the doctor (usually painkillers) are supplemented with dietary nutrition designed to help the early bone growth. That is, it must be enriched with calcium (milk, cottage cheese, cheese) and protein. If the fractures are unilateral, the doctor can recommend mustard and cans on a healthy side - to prevent stagnation in the lungs. Loads are prohibited, especially heavy lifting. The patient should avoid sudden movements.
If there is a fracture of the rib with displacement, the treatment is carried out only in the hospital, until the danger of penetration of fragments into the tissue disappears.
Starting with the third day, if there is no threat to life, procedures begin, in particular UHF. From the seventh to the eighth day after the injury, therapeutic exercise is introduced.
Duration of treatment
Children break the ribs quite rarely: they have a few soft, elastic bones. But, if this happens, rehabilitation takes only 2-3 weeks. Young people grow together for about a month. In elderly or debilitated injured, this process may take a month and a half. Timelines are listed for uncomplicated fractures. In case of complications, rehabilitation is delayed, since complications are primarily treated. Pain can sometimes occur after bone fusion within half a year after injury.
Complications that can accompany fractures of the ribs
In most cases, there are closed speciesthis injury. However, without external damage, fracture of the ribs can be very dangerous for health if fragments are formed. Multiple fractures are most often accompanied by violations of the integrity of any part of the respiratory organs, resulting in pneumothorax.
His symptoms are:
- Shortness of breath, difficult and uneven, ragged breathing.
- Blood in the saliva (hemoptysis).
- Emphysema under the skin at the site of the fracture.
- From the affected side, breathing is not audible.
- Deterioration of the general condition of the injured.
The penetration of fragments of ribs into the heart muscle usually leads to immediate death; Symptoms are absent.
Fragments of the lower ribs can damage the kidneys, spleen, liver.
Immediately make a reservation: treatment of fracture of the ribs by folk remedies, without following the prescription of the doctor, will not lead to anything good. Alternative medicine can only speed up recovery. However, it is possible to resort to it to improve the condition and speed up the fusion of bones. Here are a few folk recipes:
- Half a gram of the mummy dissolves in rose oil; the remedy is evaporated twice a day by the teaspooner.
- Searing is stimulated by boiled onions: it can be eaten without any restrictions on time and quantity.
- Strengthening bones and their rapid fusionis stimulated by such a composition. The shell of a dozen eggs, peeled from the film, is poured with the juice of five garnets and left until completely dissolved. Then add crushed garlic (10 heads of medium size) and 1 liter of honey. The mixed mixture is infused in the room for a day, then three more - in the refrigerator. Three times a day, a spoonful of a drug is drunk, mixed with the same amount of olive oil.
In addition, the treatment of fracture of the ribs with folk remedies suggests actively using highly saturated bone broth in the diet: they help restore connective tissues.