Crimping pliers - types and features of application
The development of technology has led to the improvement of various cables, terminals and connectors (connectors, connectors), crimping which requires special tools.
To date, such tools are crimping pliers that perform high-quality and reliable crimping cable lugs. The essence of crimping is that a permanent connection is created between the conductor and the connecting structure.
What are ticks for?
Today, there are quite a lot of similar tools, produced by various manufacturing companies, of various types and purposes on the market. They can be used both at home and at work. Therefore, the consumer can choose the crimping pliers for the cable exactly the ones that they need.
In everyday life, such a tool is excellent for working with stranded conductors of wires and cables that are used to connect switches, sockets, various lighting fixtures and electricity meters.They make it possible to obtain connections that provide a safe and high-quality connection, both mechanical and electrical.
Using crimping pliers, you can perform:
- crimping cable lugs;
- pressure testing of aluminum and copper connections, tubular lugs, as well as standard and DIN connectors;
- crimping lugs of insulated and uninsulated cables;
- crimping connections in confined spaces.
There are several types of such equipment: hydraulic, electro-hydraulic and mechanical.
Crimping pliers are the latest type of pressing equipment. Most of all they are used for crimping lugs in low-current systems.
Depending on the application and the tasks performed, they are divided into several types.
Cable sheathing and insulation tool
With these tools, you can accurately and quickly cut off, as well as remove insulation and the shell. They are both with manual adjustment of the diameter of the wire, and with automatic. If using a crimping pliers with manual adjustment can damage the wire, then the automatic ones completely eliminate damage to the wiring or insulation. They are designed to work in junction and distribution boxes.
Crimping tools for end sleeves
Such crimping pliers have different types, depending on the nests (with plastic flanges and without them), as well as the form (square pressing or trapezoid). They are equipped with sockets with plastic flanges, make it possible to easily lead stranded wires. And square crimped tools ensure reliable contact. In addition, with their help, it is easier to assemble and center, which can be carried out on any face. For precise centering, liners are selected according to diameter, for which there is a color marking.
Tools for insulated cable lugs
To work with insulated and compressive lugs for cable use oval extrusion. There are three standard crimping forms in the tool matrix, which are marked in red, blue and yellow. In accordance with these three colors painted and produced lugs, connectors and sleeves.
When using crimping pliers for cable lugs, you need to follow the position of the butt edge - it should be located in the middle of the top profile, since its lateral placement can lead to a breakdown of the reliability and tightness of the wire fastening.
Special tools for uninsulated cable lugs
They are used for uninsulated cable lugs, as well as for open brass. For compressing used press rod. The sleeve is compressed in the center, and the rod sits on its separating seam.
Crimping pliers for open cable lugs made of brass, have two separate clamps - for wire and for insulation. In order for the open ends to be reliably pressed in, a locator is mounted on them, which ensures precise positioning.
To carry out this type of work and fasten the connectors you will need the wire itself, the connecting element, which will be located at its end, and the crimping pliers. How to use them will be described below.
The standard scheme of cable crimping "twisted pair" is as follows:
- First, using a tool, remove the insulation of the cable about 4-5 cm from the end. Pincers usually have a semicircular notch, on top of which is a knife. The cable is put into it, pressing it with a knife, and the device makes a turn around the wire, cutting off the insulation.
- Then all the conductors straighten in the sequence that provides the connector.
- Straighten the wiring, ensure that they fit tightly to one another and cut them off, leaving a length of about 1 cm.
- After that, the cores are gently inserted into the connecting device, keeping this sequence, slowly pressing to a certain depth, so that the lower recess of the connector captures the insulation, since during the crimping this recess is pressed and the connector is firmly fixed on it.
- Now they take the crimping pliers, put the connecting device in their seat, making sure in advance that the colors of the wires are not confused, and make the crimping.
- After crimping is done on both sides, check the connection for strength, as well as the integrity of the connector.
The choice of tools is very large, and their variety will allow you to choose the most necessary, which will meet the requirements and tasks.